Logo
Call Us
Categories

DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today's Birthdays

gcw philou Zouny1 brians356

Who's Online (1)

• jonpowl 6:08PM

New Favino Website - The Real Deal

123457»

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Funny to look back at this thread! I suddenly just became the owner of a Dupont Vieille Reserve. Wasn't even looking....but when opportunity knocks...

Anyway, besides being overwhelmed with "new guitar" syndrome (when you've been playing the same guitar for a long time just about anything is sort of fun to play just because it's different), I'm still convinced that the VR is one of the most faithful Selmer reproductions ever made. I was sitting around playing Django's unaccompanied stuff on it and it just takes you back to 1938. Very "vibey"....

The VR is louder then hell...but kind of sweet. The notes shoot out of it like arrows, really explosive. On the wet site, but in a good way. Not the greatest rhythm guitar, but it's pretty much the ultimate lead guitar. Probably will be my main axe for a while...

[url=http://www.djangobooks.com/archives/2006/02/21/1024/Favino1024.htm]My Favino[/url] has a prettier, more balanced sound. Better for recording, rhythm, and more modern sounding stuff. But for sheer Gypsy shredding the VR wins the day.

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hey Michael,

I don't suppose this means the Favino is going up on the block, by any chance?

Best,
    Jack.
    Hey Jack....I'm going to hang on to both guitars for a while. At some point I'll probably sell one of them. It'll be fun figuring out which!

'm
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20
    Michael,

Congrats on the Dupont ,

I have an older (1993) Dupont, solid maple (MD-20) that I think has killer tone. Maurice (and his crew) build some awesome guitars. Not all of them are wonderful, however. Buyer beware. Every guitar made by JP Favino has wowed me (that I have played), but I have played some of his fathers guitars that left me cold.

Acoustic guitars are a strange thing. Each is as different as the wood the are made out of. Even when made by the same company or luthier. When you find one you like, keep it.

Michael, your Favino is a great guitar. Don't sell it, you will have regrets. (Unless you want to sell it to me :D )

Cheers,

Marc

www.hotclubpacific.com
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
    Thanks Marc...did you play my Fav at Djangofest? I don't remember.

The Gibson you lent Robin was awesome...that guitar really suited him well.

'm
  • Re: Henning Doderer's acoustic bass: Acoustic Guitar several years ago had a feature on Doderer's acoustic bass. And recently in the 6 August 2013 issue, they did an article on Doderer's then new "Honey Bee" guitar. He's a well-respected luthier in Germany.