Logo
Call Us
Categories

DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today's Birthdays

AndhiP youlovestook AurelInTaunus

Related Discussions

Who's Online (1)

• DarrenKingUK 8:30PM

Bric à Brac: Tune of the Month, April '06

JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
edited April 2006 in Repertoire
Hi all,
I'll add to this in a bit (though anyone can feel free to jump in ahead of me), but I just wanted to get this audio file up before I head off to work today. It's Joseph Reinhardt's Bric à Brac, a bracing little tune that ought to be played more often, I think. This particular version comes from a 1960's recording (Vivian Willerstein (vln), Henri Adel (gtr), Patrice Caratini (b), Guy Hayat (dr), but it's also found on the Joseph Reinhardt Live in Paris disc:
joseph_live.jpeg

Also, you can watch a video clip of Joseph playing the tune here:

Here's the recording I like:

More to come,
Jack.

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'll be honest: I haven't really done my homework ahead of time this month, so let's all try to think of this one as a collaborative effort-I can use the help! I'll at least get us started...

A) Harmony:
    I've heard this tune in a few different keys, but for this thread I'll assume it's in G. A quick listen leads me to something like this (note the 10 bar A sections as opposed to the more familiar 8 ):

G |G |G |G |Ab |Ab |Ab |Ab |G |G |
    the bridge I'm not at all certain on, but the basic sound is something like:
    E(aug?)| % |A(13?) |A(#5?) |Am7 |Am7b5 | D7b9 |Daug |
    it actually seems a lot simpler than that, but just playing alone here, I like the descending line on the B string starting with the A13 (all the chord shapes I'm using are pretty standard)...feel free to emend...

Looking at the video clip mentioned earlier can be instructive, too.

B) Head:
    A quick sketch; played using octaves:

--------------------------------------------------------
    ----4/5---4/5---4/5--4/5--5\3---5\3----10-9----6-5---3-2---
    --3-----3------3-----3----------4------4--------8------4--------

I haven't worked out the B section yet...I'm a bum. One other interesting note is that is goes out on the B section instead of returning to a final A.

That's it for now-discuss!
    Best,
    Jack.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Jack wrote:
    the bridge I'm not at all certain on, but the basic sound is something like:
    E(aug?)| % |A(13?) |A(#5?) |Am7 |Am7b5 | D7b9 |Daug |
    it actually seems a lot simpler than that, but just playing alone here, I like the descending line on the B string starting with the A13 (all the chord shapes I'm using are pretty standard)...feel free to emend...

Someone has suggested these changes:
    |D+| D+ |E7#9|E7b9 |Am7| Am7 |Am7b5| D7 |
    They sound good and I get to keep most of the descending line!

Best,
    Jack.
  • Wim GlennWim Glenn oƃɐɔᴉɥƆModerator 503
    Wow, never heard this tune before. And never seen a video of Joseph playing lead, actually he's not bad eh!!
    Oh, the rhythm guitar has an awful sound!