DjangoBooks.com

Ever been in a love-hate relationship?

12346»

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    "When banana skins are falling, I'll come sliding back to you"

We used to have a fan who brought us the sheet music for this song and kept asking us to play it for him.

So I finally made up a chord chart for it, but the guy never came back to hear us play the stupid thing!

So we keep it in our book, just in case he ever comes back.

As you can hear on the YouTube video, it's pretty lame, and not typical of the kind of stuff we usually play.
    BucoBillDaCostaWilliams
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BonesBones Moderator
    What, I didn't see the Spinach Song on that list???

JK.

Will, do you have all those committed to memory???

Good Lord, no, Mike, I couldn't possibly remember all those tunes.

We use "bingo box" aka "grille" charts; see attachment.

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Wow - that's a LOT of songs. Reminds me of our set list of 1960s, 2:20 songs in my old band.
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    Thanks Will. Very evocative list.

I'm sure I'd really enjoy catching your band if I make it across the Atlantic.
    Please let me know if you are ever in the Niagara Falls neck of the woods, Bill.

Attached is a more typical example of the kind of stuff we like to play, a 1929 Rodgers-Hart obscurity called "Yours Sincerely".

With these kind of medium-fast numbers, I'm not a good enough player to play single notes like Django, so I play chord-melody style.

To me, if the rhythm suddenly drips out in these vintage numbers, it just sounds weird.

There are probably guys out there who could play single note style at that tempo and still keep the rhythmic feel happening, like Django does on "I'll Be Glad When You're Dead, You Rascal, You", but alas, I'm not one of them...

Will