DjangoBooks.com

Ever been in a love-hate relationship?

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Thanks, Luthier47... just curious because I've never seen a Monteleone guitar in real life- the blurb under the photos says..

giving it sonic character combining elements of the traditional arch-top and flat top sounds.

So I'm wondering: just what do these guitars sound like?

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
    edited November 2016 Posts: 1,852
    Hooray! I finally got the photos to upload... my trick was to save them as PDF files, which worked!

As you can see the guitar is now finished, and just in time for my birthday, which is today.

I'm real happy! The "hate" is finally removed from my relationship!

I hope you like 'er as much as I do... but if you are one of the vocal minority who actually preferred the old look, please do me a favour and don't spoil my birthday by telling me how much you hate the new version!

You can always wait and tell me in a few days!

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
    Hey Will I ha...LOVE the new look!
    Happy birthday!
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    Looks absolutely magnificent!
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Love it! It has a tropical feel. I can see it being used in Cancun with a latin jazz band.
  • Elí SaúlElí Saúl Toluca, Mexico.New Dell'Arte DG-H2
    Looks pretty awesome, would fall in love with guitar 11/10.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Yo Will

Happy Birthday, Looks Great a "one and only"

Looks are one thing, I wanna know, How does it SOUND and PLAY.

Hope it opens doors to your best Creativity.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 1,852
    Thanks, everyone.

John, I haven't yet had a chance to do much gigging or recording with my new baby but here's a clip of her in action from a couple of months back.

(I posted this further upstream so perhaps you've already heard it before?)

Regards,

Will

PS Also I decided to try some Labella silk and steel strings (12-16-25-33-46-56) which I had the luthier install for me when he finished the guitar.

I chose these because I was hoping to get a little more bassy Lang-ish sound.

Alas, these didn't really change the bass response noticeably.

But what did change is that the whole set definitely feels "stiff", unfortunately to the point where I really can't quite manage those Django-inspired half step bends that I love.

So I think my first step with the 'new' guitar is going to be returning to the medium gauge D'Addarios that I'm used to...

• juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O
    edited December 2016 Posts: 205
    Nice! Happy birthday!
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    I noticed that the bridge is all one piece - no separate moustache ends. I've seen such bridges on a Patenotte and on a DiMauro I'd found for sale on the internet some time ago. Is that designed to match the way the top is braced?