DjangoBooks.com

Boulou & Elios - The Steeplechase Years

Ted GottsegenTed Gottsegen Rowayton, CTModerator
edited April 2006 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 615
Hello Friends,

I've been listening to these albums a lot lately and really enjoying them. I'd be curious to know what others have to say about this era of the Ferré Brothers.

Best,

Ted

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hey Ted,

I'm ashamed to say my Ferre collection is sorely lacking; for whatever reason I've always been slow to pick up most of their albums. So: What are the Steeplechase years? This could be the kick in the ass I need.

Thanks,
    Jack.
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Hi Jack,

Ted is talking about the records that Boulou and Elios made in Dennmark for the Steeplechase label from 1979 to 1986 under the direction of Nils Winther. This are the recordings:

- Pour Django (rec. 1979)
    - Gypsy Dreams (rec. 1980)
    - Trinity (rec. 1982, with NHOP)
    - Relax and Enjoy (rec. 1985)
    - Confirmation (rec. 1986)
    - Guitar legacy (rec. 1986)

I confess that I don´t listen to that recordings too much. But there are pearls among this recordings for shure like "Rhythm Futur", "La Folle", "Panique", "De Moscou au Odessa", "Donna Lee", "Cherokee", "Autumn Leaves".

This reminds me of a missed occasion. In 1998 I stayed for one week together with my wife in Copenhagen, because she had to manage a concert of Nils Winther in our hometown. So I talked with Nils Winther several times in Copenhagen and at our place. But at that time I didn´t realize that he had been the producer of all these Boulou and Elios recordings. So we talked about Robert Norman a lot, but I didn´t ask a single question about this steeplechase recordings. Arrrrgghhh!!

Best,
    Barengero
  • langleydjangolangleydjango Langley, WA USA✭✭✭✭
    Boulou and Elios are the true musical descendants of Django.

They play jazz.

Listening to any of the Boulou Steeplechase CDs is inspirational because it shows where this music can go (or has gone). It clearly delineates the line between hopped-up HCF copyists and those who see this as music as an evolving form of jazz guitar begun by Django and meant to move forward.

I actually find their more recent CD's (i.e. Shades of a Dream) even more inspiring. It is beautiful music with no boundaries.

To watch Boulou (and to a very slightly lesser extent, Elios) is to watch someone willing to constantly push the edge of the envelope, to push his abilities as far as they will go. (Bireli is much the same although he stays a bit more accessible to the general population.)

These recordings are an essential part of this musical genre/heritage and it's unfortunate that more players don't take the time to listen to them.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I'm a huge fan of the Ferre's....especially the first two CDs they did:

imagePour Django" border="0"
    width="100">

Boulou
    & Elios Ferre

Gypsy Dreams

imageGypsy Dreams" border="0"
    width="100">

Those are classic in my opinion. You rarely hear music that is so experimental and modern played with such earthy Gypsy gusto. And I absolutely love the way these recordings sound. The guitars sound so crisp and clear...you feel like you're listening from inside their guitars. It's probably the best Favino sound on record...

Funny that you hear so many people complain that this genre is all about copycat playing, but then no one bothers to listen to the Ferre brothers.

'm
  • patrus le sommelierpatrus le sommelier ✭✭✭✭
    my favorite of those CD is for sure "Pour Django"

patrus

- Pour Django (rec. 1979)
    - Gypsy Dreams (rec. 1980)
    - Trinity (rec. 1982, with NHOP)
    - Relax and Enjoy (rec. 1985)
    - Confirmation (rec. 1986)
    - Guitar legacy (rec. 1986)
  • RKatzRKatz London✭✭✭✭
    Boulou Scat soloing on 'Pent Up House' on Relax and Enjoy is pure bliss, and 'Gypsy Dreams' is one of the great compositions in this genra, just to mention two out of many highlights. Boulou truely is a genius, an inovator and an artist on the guitar. Yeh.
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    The first 3 cds particularly "Trinity",with Nils pedersen on bass are masterpieces! Boulou is a fantatic composer;shame he's not more prolific.
    I do have some reservations about Boulou's time feel sometimes,but the guy is so inspiring generally speaking you can forgive him anything.
    Stu
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20
    Boulou is one of the worlds great jazz guitarists along with say, Lagrene, Coryell, Vignola, Romane and a few others. His sound is his own (how many of us can truly say that?). I have all of his available recordings. The steeplechase recordings are great. This music truly moves the "Django legacy" forward.

I was disappointed in the fact that many people left the Ferre Brothers sets at Djangofest san Francisco and Langley. IMHO they didn't get it. Its not about taste, its about comprehension. To those who don't like the Ferres, I say open your ears and listen. The good tidings of their music will reach you when you are ready.

Cheers,

Marc

www.hotclubpacific.com
  • Ted GottsegenTed Gottsegen Rowayton, CTModerator
    I was disappointed in the fact that many people left the Ferre Brothers sets at Djangofest san Francisco and Langley. IMHO they didn't get it. Its not about taste, its about comprehension. To those who don't like the Ferres, I say open your ears and listen. The good tidings of their music will reach you when you are ready.

Most definitely, Marc! Well said everybody.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New