DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Related Discussions

Who's Online (1)

• Matteo 10:17AM

Today's Birthdays

Mischa gypsymyk jensmolander RussellBib

A 1927 Lang masterpiece

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
edited May 2016 in Eddie Lang Club Posts: 1,306

Venuti and Lang work their magic behind twenties cutie Annette Hanshaw... after a vocal chorus in the violin-friendly key of D, Lang modulates to Bb (- !) for Venuti's violin solo.

The real magic begins around 2:21, when Lang modulates back to D for Annette's vocal, and then provides some awe-inspiring accompaniment, alternating effortlessly between harmony with Annette and bass runs.

I don't claim to have mastered exactly what Eddie is doing, but here is a rough guess

-behind "Honey don't you cry, the clouds are rolling by, the rainbow's in the sky" he's playing arpeggios and or chords using this descending sequence

D X-X-12 -11-10-X

A7 X-X-11--8--9--X

Bm X-X--9--7--7--X

A X-X--7--6--5--X

G X-X--5--4--3--X

F#m XX--4--2--2--X

- and then behind "In the shadow of sunny skies above, we will laugh and love" he's playing arpeggios and or chords using this descending sequence

Em X-X-X-12-12-12

Em7 X-X-X-12-12-10

A X-X-X--9-10--9

G X-X-X--7--8--7

A X-X-X--6--5--5

G X-X-X--4--3--3

Check it out, let me know if I'm wrong!

Will
I live in a little tourist town called Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario, Canada, which is about twenty miles north of Niagara Falls.

If you are ever planning on visiting the beautiful Niagara area, feel free to PM me and perhaps we can get together and do some jamming.

Comments

• woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    I haven't checked out the chords, but what a great performance! Annette Hanshaw is one of the very earliest white jazz singers, and I like her a lot. She was blessed with having the cream of the crop of white jazz musicians while she was recording. Thanks for sharing this!