DjangoBooks.com

Django and Louis Armstrong

Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
in History Posts: 1,261
Does anyone have a definite date on this photo of Django with Louis Armstrong?

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Sorry I can't help, just wanted to say I love this photo. Django looks like such a creeper and satchmo looks really annoyed, it's hilarious
    Lango-DjangoadrianJon
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    It has been suggested (and it actually says so on one caption I have) that Armstrong is annoyed at Django's cigarette smoke and is wafting it away with his handkerchief.
    wim
    There's a pair of shoes next to Django. Maybe he's wafting away Django's socks.

But really I can't see him being bothered by a cigarette smoke at that day and age. To me it's more likely that he's wiped the sweat off his face.
    wim
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Also, check out Louis tie with the naked ladies !! :))
    Buco
    Here is another one. Django certainly wanted to get up close and friendly.
  • bluetrainbluetrain Finland✭✭✭ Cach, Epiphone Triumph, Gibson ES-300
    Buco wrote: »
    There's a pair of shoes next to Django. Maybe he's wafting away Django's socks.

I thought Django didn't wear any socks! :)
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    edited May 2016 Posts: 393
    I have read that he, at least once, wore red socks with a black tuxedo, because he thought it looked so good! This was early in the career and I think Grappelli or someone else told him that this was not exactly the approved way of doing it. What colour of socks he chose to wear afterwards has been the subject of much speculation and is not fully understood yet.
    Django could one day look like a prince and the next like a tramp.

I've matched the clothes he is wearing in the Armstrong photos to ones he wore during his tour of the USA, so I am now pretty sure it is 1946 or early 1947 and America.
    Buco
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 4,733
    Nice detective work.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016 Posts: 459
    Yes, it appears to be the same suit jacket he's wearing here. He brought two pairs of trousers with him, three if the Sonia Dimitrivich photos are indeed taken in the US. One grey pair, one black with stripes and one pair of all black. (The nerdom!)

Teddy, you should dig out two or more photos showing the contrast between Tramp and Prince. :)>-