DjangoBooks.com

"Djalamichto"

AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
edited April 2008 in Repertoire Posts: 277
I worked this out while working on another project. For study purposes only. If someone has a legal problem with it being here, let me know. I'm posting it because I'm unsure about a) the chord inversions I've notated, and b) whether it's conventional and okay to notate a key change in the B section as I've done:

goodbye.gif

Incidentally, does "djalamichto" mean "goodbye" in Romany?

Cheers,
A

Comments

• langleydjangolangleydjango Langley, WA USA✭✭✭✭
    Hi Ando,

Good work. Great tune.

Don't show a change(s) of key signature during the bridge. Unless the entire form modulates the key change is considered temporary and is notated with accidentals (and the chord changes).

I don't know what Djalamichto means but it sure is a great word!

Excellent post!!

troy
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Ando,

To second Troy, great post. Can you tell us what recording you were working off? I think P. Saussois recorded this one, but I'm not sure. If you've got any background, I'd love to hear it.

Best,
    Jack.
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Yes, this tune has been recorded by Patrick Saussois. That recording is included in the CD of the tabulature-book "Django Reinhardt Undiscovered - Inédit : 5 original Swing pieces" published by IMP (International Music Publications Limited). It is a composition of Django Reinhardt. In this book the recording and the notation are in the key "C".

So I think that this extract above is based on the recording of Matelot Ferret. He made an EP in the 60´s with the title "Jean Matelot Ferret et sa guitare joue le inédits de Django Reinhardt" (Vogue ELP 7.829) with the tracks "En Verdine, Tchoucar Wago, Djalamichto, Chpile T´chavo).

Maybe that "Djalamichto" means something like "Good journey". "michto" means "good, useful" and "dja" is going, driving. But maybe that I am completely wrong as well.
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    Nice catch, Barengero. Exactly so. That's as much information as I have, too.

Thanks for the kind words, gents. This is a fun tune.

Troy, thanks for the guidance about modulation and common-practice notation.

Cheers,
    Ando
    There exists a nice slow version of "Djalamichto" recorded by Schnuckenack Reinhardt in 1983 with his son Forello on acoustic solo guitar, Peter Unger and Unge Schmitt on rhythm guitars and Arnold Weiss on double-bass. It is on the LP "Die Lerche" (master records 6.25425 AP).

Best regards

Barengero
    There exists a nice slow version of "Djalamichto" recorded by Schnuckenack Reinhardt in 1983 with his son Forello on acoustic solo guitar, Peter Unger and Unge Schmitt on rhythm guitars and Arnold Weiss on double-bass. It is on the LP "Die Lerche" (master records 6.25425 AP).

Best regards

Barengero
    Sorry for waisting webspace. Thought it was the preview first time.
    Barengero
    Sorry for waisting webspace. Thought it was the preview first time.
    Barengero
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Dear all,

I am bringing up this old post. I was wondering if someone could let me know on which of Patrick Saussois album Djalamichto can be found ?

And also, what is the exact story of this tune, if neither Django Reinhardt or Matelot Ferret recorded it ? (At least it's not in Tziganskaia, unless there are other CDs, LPs?)
    - JG
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I don't think Saussois recorded it outside of the CD included with the book referenced below, but I could be wrong.
    Barengero wrote:
    Yes, this tune has been recorded by Patrick Saussois. That recording is included in the CD of the tabulature-book "Django Reinhardt Undiscovered - Inédit : 5 original Swing pieces" published by IMP (International Music Publications Limited). It is a composition of Django Reinhardt. In this book the recording and the notation are in the key "C".

So I think that this extract above is based on the recording of Matelot Ferret. He made an EP in the 60´s with the title "Jean Matelot Ferret et sa guitare joue le inédits de Django Reinhardt" (Vogue ELP 7.829) with the tracks "En Verdine, Tchoucar Wago, Djalamichto, Chpile T´chavo).

Incidentally, these guys have a lead sheet for it, and seem open to trades if you're looking for it. Matelot left us a lot beyond Tziganskaia, and I've included a snippet of the Vogue recording below to give you an idea of what it sounds like...enjoy!

best,
    Jack.