DjangoBooks.com

BMT in SB, Ca. 4-16-16

BonesBones Moderator
Wow, still buzzing from the show last night.

I had not seen these guys in a while and how things have changed (that's a good thing)! The musicianship has gone to the next level and they've expanded their repertoire and added vocal harmonies.

Hmmm, how to describe it for those who have not heard them lately. Django (of course) meets Sinatra meets the Beatles???? Everything from GJ standards to originals to early jazz standards and (yes, believe it or not) the Beatles (and it works!). All with an unique twist and GJ feel/skillfulness mixed in. If you are a hard core Djangophile you'll love it and the good news is you can bring your spouse and friends and they'll have fun too. My wife didn't want it to be over!

Sorry, it's hard to describe music with words especially as unique as this. See them if you get the chance and get their CDs (or download) called The Black Market Trust and/or The Black Market Trust II. Personally, I don't collect a lot of music but this is a must. So cool to see where these young folks are taking the genre!
Scoredog

Comments

• edited April 2016 Posts: 4,735
    Haha, up until the end I was wondering if I'm gonna find out what the heck BMT is!?

That's good to hear, while the first album was perfect in terms of production, musicianship and performance, it had too much of a GB stamp on it. I guess it's understandable after so many years playing and recording with Gonzalo.

I'll look for it, thanks @Bones
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Ha, yeah I didn't think about that but I see what you mean. I guess I was too lazy to write it out in the title. :-) Yeah you can get to their new CD from their website. I'll have to hide it in my truck for a while after I can get it back from my wife.
    Buco
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    They are on spotify - I checked them out after Alain shared a Youtube link on Facebook last month. Maybe they will tour - the Robin Nolan Trio is coming in May - they should open for them.
    I also found the second album on Deezer (started subscribing, uncompressed streaming through Sonos).
    Listened to it, I like it. Jeff has a really nice voice, it's a perfect album to put on in the morning to set the day mood. They did pretty much exact Sinatra version of "fly me to the moon", but sometimes that's how I feel about some songs, they're so iconic and so great in their well known versions that that's all I wanna hear too.
    I'd love to see and hear this live.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Yep. They have created a very groovy and individual space and you're right, Buco, they know when and how to do "iconic" and they always swing - and as they paid dues together in pubs for years, they're also really tight.

You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Bob, yeah they swing like crazy!

Andrew, yes they are on tour right now. Schedule is on their website.
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    While whe're at it, what is SB?
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Oh, I was thinking of perhaps San Bernardino, which is mentioned in a Frank Zappa tune, if I remember right. But I really didn't have a clue. And I was obviously wrong. I'll have a look at a map now and learn a little geography. The American habit of abbreviating words, in what seems like a spontanous way, can be a bit puzzling for an outsider. It's not so common to do so in my country, except for in the military. Interesting.
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    It's called being lazy, so we don't have to type the entire name...which seems to happen a lot here in the central coast of California.
    Buco