DjangoBooks.com

Gonzalo Bergara Arpeggios EXPLAINED

paul.provostypaul.provosty New Orleans, LANew Altamira M01
I've done a couple videos breaking down some of Gonzao Bergara's blistering fast arpeggios on YouTube and someone suggested I post them here! Tell me what you think! Thanks :)

NoneJuliennomadgtrwimaltonPetrov

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Very interesting, thanks Paul ! Never noticed how much chromatic filler there was in those lines before, but I guess that's exactly what you need if you want to make it 2 or 4 notes per string on the descending part. Well it works well and sounds great if you play it fast enough anyway, even if it's not harmonically too interesting.
    Are you in NOLA ?
    paul.provosty
  • paul.provostypaul.provosty New Orleans, LANew Altamira M01
    Yeah, it is interesting how much chromatic filler there is. But it goes to show that choosing an even number of notes on a string while descending is a very efficient and clean way of playing fast! For slower things, Gonzalo mostly uses all downstrokes, and in my opinion, is very dynamic and tasteful.

I don't know exactly why he chooses this method, using chromatic and stuff. But, I can see why he gravitated towards this way of playing because it is very comfortable for the right hand while descending. It also creates this amazing cascading sound as he flies across the strings.

I believe many runs that people use in gypsy jazz are pre-meditated to some degree, and the key to playing it at high tempos is to kind of "connect the dots" with the runs that you know. Many of the long lines are "chunked" into one singular pattern. I can imagine, in his mind, that he conceptually see's this phrase as one large chunk. I see him use it a lot, and he usually only adds variations to this lick at the beginning or at the end of the phrase, but not the middle of it.

For instance, in my second video on this lick, you can see how he slightly alters it at the beginning, the middle of the phrase stays the same, and then slightly changes the ending. So, you may actually be able to break the lick up into three conceptual parts. 1) A phrase that starts the lick 2) the memorized portion that always remains the same and 3) a landing phrase, depending on what chord you are going to.

Yeah man, I'm from NOLA! But I tour with my band, Earphunk, a lot so I'm not home much! Haha
    Buco
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Hey Paul,

I like the video a lot but I have a technical request. In future videos, can you give a four count before you start the lick, and maybe count another few beats once the lick begins ? This makes it easier to figure out exactly what beat it starts on. I think it starts on the "and" of 1, but I'm not 100% sure.

Anthony
    paul.provosty
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I guess it's the best (only??) way to get really clean and even descending lines at those fast tempos - choose carefully the right notes! Guys who alternate pick anything/everything at the fast tempos usually can't get the right gypsy sound.

I do think it can kinda limit your repertoire though if you are going to insist on an even number of notes per string for the descending lines. The alternative is like the stochelo style, i.e. just to man-up and get the double down strokes happening at tempo. I think this is the way Django did too. But of course that's a damn lot of work and practice!

I was down in NOLA around mardi gras and met with these guys Russel and Leo for a djam at Molly's, do you know those guys? Great players. Hey you should meet up with my friend Sam from Melbourne, he's visiting in big easy this week to check out the music scene. Great player, maybe even the top dog from Australia in the gypsy scene at the moment.
    paul.provosty
    Yeah man I know Russel! Killer player! I'll have to link up with your bud Sam, tell him to hit me up on Facebook.

Yes, I'm going to start focusing on playing these arpeggios or runs in "context" so people can understand where they fit rhythmically within the measure.

Double downstroke stuff is still a necessity and must be learned to play Django licks for sure. I like the way Joscho describes it. Django thinks in triplets. D-U-D D-U-D picking regardless of whether you are ascending or descending with three note per string lines. And it's interesting to watch descending "double downstroke" playing as compared to ascending, more sweeping, playing picking wise with a close up camera because they have different characteristics. For example, if you had a three note per string descending line starting on the b string, the first downstroke would be rest stroked, the upstroke would pull away from the guitar, and the third downstroke would lightly scrape the string and pull away quickly to go to the g string to repeat the pattern. Where as ascending lines, every downstroke would rest-stroke and each third downstroke would sweep to the next string, for three note per string fingerings of course. You can see this in Troy Grady's close up footage of Joscho's playing. God I could go on and on about this haha, I need to just make a video about it!! I plan on making a big Gypsy picking video to kind of demystify a couple of things, not that I'm kind of expert, but just some observations I've made from watching a bunch of players :)
  • altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo
    Welcome Paul! I came across your videos maybe a month ago or so. Great stuff! I've been getting some good mileage and ideas out of them. I love the humor element. Keep up the good work! I look forward to more. Also, fantastic electric playing!
    paul.provosty
  • rob.cuellarirob.cuellari ✭✭✭✭
    great approach. easily digestible stuff.
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Great vid. Not sure that the F bombs add much though.
    Great vid. Not sure that the F bombs add much though.

I've been known to have a filthy mouth at times, I'm sure Django did too haha
  • mandocatmandocat Santa Rosa, CA✭✭✭ AJL XO, Eastman 905CE, PRS SE
    Good stuff Paul. I think you're f***ing hilarious and the shredder's point of view is welcome. I believe Gonzalo discusses using chromatic filler to make picking easier and land on the target note in his 2 books. I agree with Anthony about the count-in but it's not a bad exercise to have to figure those things out.
    wim