DjangoBooks.com

Gonzalo and Wrembel's pompe

Comments

• Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    I wonder how bad the delay is...
    mmm it works but i'm not a huge fan of the 2 and 4 too muted, as it's often the case in these 6 examples...
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i wrote a very in depth article on all the different styles of rhythm here:

http://denischang.com/index.php/2015/08/11/the-secrets-of-authentic-gypsy-jazz-rhythm/

it doesn't have the audio clips, for that u'll have to click on the link to the original article that appeared here on djangobooks

i also talk about the historical evolution of rhythm playing.
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    For what it's worth, I've changed my own sound since being featured in that video. I definitely try to get some tone in the 2 and 4. It's sort of a combination of tone and percussion.
    You've got a great rhythm sound Adrian. Reminds me of Gonzalo.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I have heard that the Dutch players call this muted 2 and 4 style rhythm "the stupidest thing ever heard" =)) Can you confirm if this is really the attitude there Adrian??!
    Charles Meadowsadrian
    I wanna sound like William here:
    MattHenry
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,252
    I'd never seen that Brunard clip. Yeah - he sounds nice and crunchy. He's mixing a hotclub type of pompe with some modern embellishments to introduce sections & solos. I like it a lot.

Usually when I hear good players talk about style, they’re talking about what they’re trying to accomplish with a certain stylistic technique. They’re musicians, and so they’re trying to create their own sound and write their own music and make their own impact and build their own fan-base.

You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • rob.cuellarirob.cuellari ✭✭✭✭
    I recall when I was in a workshop with William at DiJ that his main focus for rhythm wasn't about the sound, but dancing.
  • MitchMitch Paris, Jazz manouche's capital city!✭✭✭✭ Di Mauro, Lebreton, Castelluccia, Patenotte, Gallato
    edited March 2016 Posts: 159
    Please guys, please...

I really doubt there is such things as a "modern" rhythm.
    I think it's a mistake that's passing around for a while now. On the first video Denis and Olli are playing good rhythm, but the other players (and I personnally know and appreciate some of them) are playing a rhythm that is too dry.
    Gypsies don't mute the 2nd and 4th beat. It's a mistake, a sad trend that comes from a very simple thing : the imitation of Hono's rhythm on the overcompressed Gypsy project albums! It is as simple as that. I saw it happen all the way a few years ago, as many of you I'm shure.

Also, the "modern gypsy jazz" concept is arguable, maybe it could just be called "playing in the style of Bireli Lagrène"?

This slightly annoying muted 2nd and 4th beats pompe is a kind of trap gypsy jazz players should prevent from falling into. You really have to make the chords ring.
    Otherwise it feels like someone walking with a broken foot (sorry I can't find my words here but you get the picture). As Bohemwarbler says (Hi Bob!) even Adrien, who's supposed to be one of the "modern" style leaders, compresses every beat with the left hand.

Please pardon me, I don't want to offense anyone but this is a serious matter, discussed by numerous players here in France: please don't do la pompe that way. There are very, very few tutorials showing good rhythm on the internet. Get Denis Chang's DVD on rhythm playing, all you have to know is in there ;)

Don't get fooled by bad sounding mp3's or overcompressed cd's. Just look at the soundwaves, you'll see it's flattened on the highs and lows, that's not the natural sound you'd hear while sitting next to those players.

I really think that a straight, evenly played four beats, compact rhythm playing is all you need to give a tensed and "modern" feel. The video posted by Charles with William Brunard and Edouard Pennes is a perfect example for that (except for the typical Hot Club de France rhythm licks of course but you'll easily make the difference).

Charles MeadowsMattHenryA Gent