DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthday

Andrew1953

Key for Avalon

Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
in Repertoire Posts: 432
I've usually seen it in F. But the Rosenbergs do G on North Sea Jazz. Is F the consensus?

Comments

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,243
    I believe Django's 1935 recording was in F and I suppose a person might call that the seminal GJ recording. I think Jolson recorded it in F also. Though I suspect the key depends on the orchestration. Playing in either F or G won't make you very popular with horn players ;-)

It's not a bad idea to learn both when a song is played in both. I'm not sure why songs seem to have regional key variations, but oddly, Seattle & Portland seem to use different keys for several songs. I don't jam as much as I used to, but clearly remember going up North to jam with the gents and halfway through the A section of some songs - wondering what the h* was going on... and then noticing that I was in a different key.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • As it was originally a vocal, lots of different versions to suit vocal range

FWIW, as a horn player ....... F concert is G on Bb instruments, a great key for both tpt and sax. And D for Eb instruments another great key for sax.

Today any horn player worthy of the name is equally comfortable in C and C#

My most common keys in blues are the guitar keys of E (F# on tenor) and A ( B on tenor)
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    edited February 2016 Posts: 701
    Original Key of Avalon in 1920 was F and the structure is AABC but I think it is always interesting and profitable to learn tunes by grades instead of memorizing only chords.

I mean when you remember that Avalon is mainly V to I for the first 16 bars

[V ][./.][./.][./.][ I ][./.][./.][./.]
    [V][./.][./.][./.][ I ][./.][./.][./.]

you only have to learn the following 16 bars (parts B and C) as being:

[VI7][./.][./. ][./.][IIm][./.][IVm6][./.]
    [ I ][./.][VI7][./.][II ][V ][ I ][./.]

And when you know that you can play it in any key both on chords or solo...

You just have to remember : 5 1 5 1 6 2 4 1 6 2 5 1

Or better:
    5 1
    5 1
    6 2 4
    1 6 2 5 1
    Buco
  • We do it in C to suit our vocalist. Lays out really nicely from B to D Using the chords we have come up with...
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Over the years, I've found F and G to be pretty much interchangeable for a lot of standard tunes e.g. Sweet Sue, I Can't Give You Anything But Love, Lady Be Good, St. Louis Blues, L-O-V-E, and probably a few more I can't think of right now.
    I live in a little tourist town called Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario, Canada, which is about twenty miles north of Niagara Falls.

If you are ever planning on visiting the beautiful Niagara area, feel free to PM me and perhaps we can get together and do some jamming.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    stuart wrote: »
    I would avoid G though - the last thing Gypsy Jazz needs is another tune in G!
    That's why it's called "G" ypsy Jazz man!

• Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    edited February 2016 Posts: 440
    If Avalon is being played in the lobby of a NYC hotel its in F.
    Its a thing.
    If your out side of the city ?
    Who knows ?
    We were required to extrude that one in F.