DjangoBooks.com

Any Gipsy Jazz/Manouche players from Portugal?

André Luz CostaAndré Luz Costa New Electric: Schecter Hellraiser - Classical: Eko Studio L
in Welcome Posts: 3
I'm André, i live near Porto and i'm a beginner in the genre, looking for other people who plays or share interest in this kind of music. Gipsy Jazz seems to be almost unknown in Portugal. Recently i went to Oslo to see Angelo Debarre and Dorato Schmitt at the Django festival there, so i'm really looking forward to jam with someone and learn as much as i can about it. Cheers

Comments

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    You are right that there doesn’t appear to be much gypsy jazz activity in Portugal despite considerable involvement in other areas of jazz. There was one guy who was invited up to join in with Paulus Schafer for 2 tunes when his trio played in the 2015 Seixal Jazz festival – didn’t catch his name at the time, though. Haven’t come across anybody else.

I don’t get up to Porto very often but if you are down Lisbon/Setúbal way let me know – looks like a friend and I will have regular sessions playing gypsy jazz and Cape Verdian music and you would be welcome to join in. We are also pretty new to g.j. although we have played other styles for some years.
    André Luz Costa
  • Moving to Lagoa, Algarve next week. Leaving behind my band Metroswing and regular gigs. Samois regular, looking to gig, jam, teach.
    André Luz Costa
  • André Luz CostaAndré Luz Costa New Electric: Schecter Hellraiser - Classical: Eko Studio L
    You are right that there doesn’t appear to be much gypsy jazz activity in Portugal despite considerable involvement in other areas of jazz. There was one guy who was invited up to join in with Paulus Schafer for 2 tunes when his trio played in the 2015 Seixal Jazz festival – didn’t catch his name at the time, though. Haven’t come across anybody else.

I don’t get up to Porto very often but if you are down Lisbon/Setúbal way let me know – looks like a friend and I will have regular sessions playing gypsy jazz and Cape Verdian music and you would be welcome to join in. We are also pretty new to g.j. although we have played other styles for some years.

Sounds Awesome Bill, id love to, ill let you know whenever i go South
  • André Luz CostaAndré Luz Costa New Electric: Schecter Hellraiser - Classical: Eko Studio L
    Moving to Lagoa, Algarve next week. Leaving behind my band Metroswing and regular gigs. Samois regular, looking to gig, jam, teach.

Algarve is a bit far, but i know there you can find some Gipsy jazz live music, specially in the Summer.. I'm looking forward for my first time in Samois this year.. Thanks Ray ill let you know if i ever go to Algarve
  • Thanks Andre. Yes keep in touch, I'll let you know if I venture that far up. First time in Samois will be a blast. Make sure you get to the Samoreau.camping site where the best music happens. Cheers Ray
    Hi guys, I was the guy Bill da Costa refers to being invited by Paulus Schafer at Seixal Jazz 2015. Great to know you've been there Bill!

Actually, I'm promoting GJ in Portugal. I've managed to introduce Paulus' Trio to the opening of the Festival, have been playing with my band "DJANGOLOGY - THE MANOUCHE SESSIONS" and interviewing GJ greats like Gonzalo Bergara, Andreas Oberg, and many others.

Let me share with you the site with all the links:
    http://nunomarinhomusic.wix.com/jazz#!django/c24sx

In June 2016 there will be lots of great Gypsy Jazz gigs and I'd love to see you around!

- 10th: Cascais Jazz Club, Cascais (10pm)
    - 11th: Duetos da Sé, Lisbon (5pm)
    - 11th: Titanic Sur Mer, Lisbon (11pm)
    - 17th: Os Artistas, Faro (10pm)
    - 19th: Museu do Trajo, São Brás Alportel (5pm)

Hope to see you soon!
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    Good to know, Nuno - hope to catch you at one of those gigs.
    Ray Bartlett
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I'll be to Lisbon in late July
    Ray Bartlett
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 959
    Ahhh Lisbon. Fabulous city and one of Europe's best kept secrets, but if you can't find much GJ don't worry, you will be hooked on Fado anyway. Look for small cafes, restaurants in the Bairro Alto or Alfama. Hope to get back there one day soon myself.
    Wim let either Nuno or me know when you are coming. Might be able to set something up.