DjangoBooks.com

Gator picks = drier sound?

Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
in Welcome Posts: 432
I've been experimenting with different picks. And I'm not getting quiet as dry a sound as I'd like with the 2 and 4 on my rhythm playing. I think part of the issue is that my guitar (ALD) has a very lush sound which is not crunchy at all. Using the Wegens I find it hard to get the 2 and 4 to sound dry. But with the gator picks it's easier. Anyone else notice this?

Here's Gonzalo doing it very dry:

Comments

• altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo
    Yup. I love the way that they sound.
    Gonzalo will make it sound dry with a wet newspaper just about.

My reasoning is any material that's slightly softer or not as hard a Wegen and similar will help there.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    edited January 2016 Posts: 476
    I think lubrication + softness = minimum ringing.
    What you don't want is hard and scratchy. The impact on, and scratching across the string.
    I use Dunlop stubbies (lexan) cuz their cheap and have those qualities, but there are likely even more of both those qualities out there at a price.
    The stubbies look and play real smooth but continuously abrade away, taking on their own shape after you've played them in (I sand the point completely round to start). They continuously leave a white dust all over the guitar (and in my nose) which I think is ultra fine particles that are providing continuous lube. Who knows, but their quiet for whatever reason. And cheap.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    edited February 2016 Posts: 476
    Been thinking about "soft" picks. There's no such thing (barring felt?) as soft picks. They're all hard. It must be angle of attack and contour rather than soft that matters. Sorry to go on, but couldn't stop thinking bout your question.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • BonesBones Moderator
    The pick will have some effect but it will be much less than left and right hand technique. Use a lot of left hand damping and also concentrate on the attack with the right hand until you get the tone that you like. As far as picks just use whatever is comfortable (more than likely that will end up being whatever you use for a while and get used to).