DjangoBooks.com

NEW "Django remasters"

1235»

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Sorry to appear stupid but what exactly is the magic chord shape.
    always learning
  • AppelAppel ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016 Posts: 78
    I think they must mean this voicing - just for an example:

:..................5.......7.......9
    N---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    N---|---|---|---|--C|---|---|---|---|
    N---|---|---|-F#|---|---|---|---|---|
    N---|---|---|---|--A|---|---|---|---|

In different contexts, those three notes can suggest:

~ an Am6
    ~ a D7 with, on the guitar anyway, the 5th in the bass
    ~ an A, Eb, F# or C diminished seventh chord; and so, also ...
    ~ a G#7b9, an F7b9, a B7b9, or maybe even a D7b9 (but probably not really)

- and those are only the fairly straight-forward possibilities.

And it seems, given the ease with which that chord can be moved around, on different string sets as well as up and down the neck, as though it would be really easy to use for quick chord runs with nice voice-leading, but ... the old pros pull off stuff with this chord that - I don't know about you folks - but I'm not finding that I'm figuring it all out in a useful way very quickly. I guess it's fine to follow the ear as well but I'll bet the pros understand exactly what they are doing with it as they move it around, regardless of the tempo.
    Buco
  • Soundwise its more a diminished chord as it doesn't have the seventh as a minor 7 flat five
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Thanks @Appel for details. I usually type on the phone and I'm just not getting down the flying thumbs technique. I was just hoping "classic hot club minor 6 shape" would do the trick.
    Yeah Samy was just demonstrating hoe versatile this shape is.
    He made it sound damn nice and very convincing too.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O
    Buco wrote: »
    I think he also played Nuages with it but the point is you can play just about anything using this shape.

I don't know if Samy did (play Nuages) but David Gastine sure did in one of his classes. David also approached the "magic" chord from the G6add9 (G13) shape with the thumb fretting the G on the 3rd fret 6th string over the fretboard and then went on to the variations that Buco and Appel have gone over.
    gypsy-g13.gif
  • xcompxcomp New
    Hi everyone, I discovered this forum while looking for the "best" remaster of Django's works.
    Do you have any suggestions ?
    I am not necessarily looking for a complete version, but rather to get my hands on the best available sound quality.
    I read good comments on the JSP remasters and also the Label Ouest remaster (intégrale Quintette à Cordes) and Frémeaux.
    What about the work done by Dreyfus jazz ("souvenirs" and "echoes of france" CD, reissued on "l'or de django") and the "Retrospective" 3CD box issued in 2010 ?
    Are all of those different remasters or are some of them reprints of previous masters ? Which one is the best in your opinion ?
    Any of the professionally produced remasters are worth getting. I also have the JSP set but I think this set sounds better. Somewhere in this thread are my notes on it but I remember it had more presence, everything was more forward.
    Also for a single CD compilation you can't beat the Djangology by Bluebird.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited June 2020 Posts: 1,457