DjangoBooks.com

Joseph joseph solo

Comments

• PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    If you like that Dave, you could have a look at the volumes dedicated to Eastern Europe music by Sebastien Giniaux at DC music school. Two volumes, one of theory/explanations, one to present different songs with different kind of scales. When I will have more time, I can give you some links to listen. First, you can have a look at Norig and Sebastien Giniaux concert on youtube (Plang de dor, As da zile de la mine for example). These are romanian songs. It will give you a start
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    edited December 2015 Posts: 462
    @PapsPier.

Thanks for the tips.I've seen quite a lot of that. I will watch the Seb and Norig in full since you recommend it.

But I would really like to get the heads up on who the man is in the traditional field. I want to listen to that,

Here's what I mean, there are a lot of celticy sound bands around now and some of it is great but here is the real thing.Music start around eight mins and if you wait till the violin enters you'll know what I mean. (and don't mind the midi piano sound)

Bump back to topic.

• kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    Check out Ionica Minune or maybe groups like Fanfare Ciocarlia for some great Balkan sounds
    I'll be right on it, thanks Kevin.

D.
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    Whoops, I forgot to mention Taraf de Haidouks, they are legendary.
    NylonDave
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    I think it is impossible to give you one name: what we see as Eastern Europe music is composed of many many different styles, with great players in each style. (Of course, there are common roots etc.) The more you will discover artists, the more you will realise how big this field of Eastern Europe music is.
    It depends also on what kind of instruments you prefer. For violins, I can not say just one name. I like Yoshka Nemeth but there are hundreds of amazing players
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=x8n3ebf5lPE
    And there are a lot of unknown but great players. For example I came across the name of Erno Kallai Kiss Jr. and Sr. who have a lot of really good stuff on their CDs (you can hear it on spotify). I especially like Gyonge violanak played with tarogato, a kind of clarinet.

There is also a good CD I recommend is Stand up people, it is pop gypsy music from Yougoslavia (the gypsy culture there was really appreciated in the 60-70s). It is a great compilation with a great sound (compared to what you usually hear in traditional musics). You can also check Saban Bajramovic who composed a lot of great tunes which are now part of the tradition repertoire (Opa Tsupa, Maruschka).

So that is only a few leads to explore
    edited December 2015 Posts: 462
    Thank you Paps. I have load of good recommendations.

I guess I have a lot of listening to get through and it will take me a while. All input is appreciated. Bizerrely the first player who I listened to who used these sounds was the Jazz Sax player John Surman.

I like the Yoshka Nemeth fine but he sounds like his concept of sound is very much based in Classical music and interpretation. I prefer Johnny's 'fiddle' sound and much more rhythmical bowing. I

I really love these guys, I think the pair of them are drunk and the younger brother can hardly contain himself when Johnny drops a beat. And then listen to how together they are when it kicks in for real. I wish I had grown up playing for dance.

D.
    @NylonDave most guys I know that are very good at this style on the guitar drew their inspiration from Balkan Gypsy brass. Kevin mentioned a few, I would add Boban Marković orchestra, Fejat Sejdić etc... If you search for Guca (Guča) brass battle you'll find many more but the ones mentioned so far are pretty much the heavyweights.
    Here's one of my favorite versions of Caravan:

Boban's orchestra regularly squared off in finals against Fanfare guyys

One of the guys that does it very well on the guitar is Zoran Starčević or his own band Balkan strings trio where he performs with his two sons:

And there's Zoran here with two Bosnian shredders who are also pretty good on acoustics to say the least:

And if you look up any of these guys individually you'll find bunch more.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    Those are great Buco! I found this book helpful for some guidance/theory/history: