DjangoBooks.com

Coquette LA style

ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
in Welcome Posts: 871
Trying to complete my Gypsy Jazz funk project and came up with this arrangement...

Also my buddy created this sample drum library (Realidrums) so if he likes this it will be a demo for him.
I eventually plan to use real guys on this but for the moment I programmed everything just to get the arrangement going.

Thanks for the listen!
Craig

Bob Holo

Comments

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    Hoping I'd get some feedback as it is a work in progress.
  • The playing is good.
    I guess I mean, why not? It's been done the same way for a long time, so it's kind of neat.
    Scoredog
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator

Haha... Its a work in progress? I thought it was a finished track!

So here's my feedback: "Hit the save button and start the next track"

;-)
    Scoredog
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • LorenzoLeJazzHotLorenzoLeJazzHot Naples, Italy✭✭ JWC Prima Jazz
    It reminds me somehow Biréli's "My favorite Django".
    Very nice! Like it
    Scoredog
    Thanks for mentioning Bireli's album, I had no idea that was out there (I'm relatively new to the style).

Thanks Jim for the listen.

Bob, I am going to put it away but I know real players will improve what I have programmed.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Fun stuff ScoreD!
    Scoredog
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    Really nice idea and great structure and feel to the whole thing.

I really enjoyed the guitar playing, loads of ideas and loads of fun. You'll sort your triplets out no problem as you sound like a great player.

I would like to hear some contrary motion in the 'brass' section, were the voicings computer generated from chord symbols ? It seems like it could do with proper part writing if you don't want strange looks from the trombone player. And it will sound more full.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 871
    Thanks Dave for the listen!

As far as the horn thing, I eventually want the keyboard player to use a synth horn type patch like what I have and sus it out a little more. I've done the real horn thing with Gipsy jazz guitar but want for this song a smaller production vibe so I am avoiding real horns.

I actually write a fair amount of horn charts...
    I attempted this when I first started to think of a groove Django project and used real brass. If you feel like wasting some time...

Love to arrange ToP style horn charts...here is an example if you want to waste more time (no bone, I used bari as they do)

not my personal favorite guitar playing but I tried channeling Bruce Conte who is an original member of ToP, an influence on my playing and old friend whom I've lost track of.
    NylonDave
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    I liked the first track in your last post above. I think I would like anything you might upload.

Second track I like even more it hits and sustains a real clarity if style. To be honest I never heard of Bruce Conti, I guess I am gonna have to go and listen to some Tower of Power Now.

And I am super jealous, the only times I truly enjoyed playing electric guitar after switching to classical was with a brass section. Somehow the distorted tone electric guitar seems less ridiculous and self indulgent with brass.

I don't know much about arranging brass I just know when things sound a little hollow to me personally. I like the brass in the first track but it seems like when the accordion opens up I want to hear some Strauss style hugeness, which is what one would hear sitting next to the accordionist (I know, I grew up with and accordion player) if all the stops were out. Seems like it was a tough job for the engineer because to keep the mix clear the accordian sounds real small and I'm thinking I want two tubas and a bunch of Violas and maybe a trill on the piccollo at the end . But now I'm just running off at the mouth cause I know absolutely nothing about how to record even a solo guitar.

Thanks for the tracks, look forward to the next one.

D.
    Scoredog
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Very very cool! Birei did an album of django compositions in that fusion smooth jazz style. I really like it
    Scoredog