DjangoBooks.com

Practicing without the guitar?

Comments

• edited September 2015 Posts: 4,737
    Like Mark Knopfler or a classical style or fingerstyle ala Tommy Emanuel? I'm not familiar with Oscar's picking style.
    Is there other benefit to it besides getting better at fingerstyle and just being able to play?

Thanks! Either Chicago or next DIJ.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Then start with the easy ones @Buco because while the actual writing of the notes may be difficult if you dont read, while it does help to cement it in memory, the important part is learning the piece or solo or part before you try and pla it that is by far the most important piece of that.
    Buco
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    You could try it Wes Montgomery style with the thumb... It's an awesome technique to have on electric. He used to say he developed his featherlight touch practicing late at night trying not to wake up his wife and kids.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    I've often thought that if I played without a guitar, it would sound much better.
    pickitjohnJim KaznoskyNoneBucoJazzaferriAndrewUlle
    @BluesBop Harry Yeah I've been doing that some, playing ala Wes style, after a while I definitely start missing my pick. Kinda my situation currently I just don't know if I have that kind of dedication, playing late into night when everyone else is asleep.
    And he did it after a 16 hour working day.

@stuart that AJL is a masterpiece of a design. And the price isn't bad considering you get a perfect electric Selmer made by such luthier as Ari.
    I got excited when I saw that thing on Amazon but it's not tunable. I don't know if I'd be satisfied with it just to press my fingers on something. Kinda like oversized egg slicer.
  • Buy a cheap used electric woth a neck you like, restring it with appropriate guage and practice on that.
    Jim Kaznosky
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    There's no problem there, I have 2 of them with the necks I love.

Since I recently pulled one of them out of retirement and played it, that's what partially made me think about the need to relax my right hand even more since on the electric, which doesn't have such high string tension as my GJ guitar, my right hand sort of got better right away. As I talked about that in the other thread I realized I need to loosen up my right hand more.
  • Kevin FurnissKevin Furniss France✭✭ AJL 503 XO
    As opposed to the silent guitar - couldnt you just practice on a solid body electric ?
    jonpowl
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    I was wondering when someone was going get around to suggesting a solid body electric. Hell, you can pick up a decent Mexican fender Strat at Guitar Center for about 180 bucks. Plug that in to a little headphone amp, or a program on the iPhone or iPad and you're good to go. There's no substitute for full-size neck to keep your fingers in shape.
    I have and been using electrics but still there are times I'm home and can't even do that: small apartment, baby sleeping in one room, wife studying in another. I mentioned it in the beginning but it got lost in the pages: I wanted to see what I can do to make use of my time without an instrument.