DjangoBooks.com

String snapped oddly

2»

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    I had another E break, come undone... what ever... last night. Brand new one. I'm getting pissed. I have about 2 hours an evening to practice and when I have to use up that time fixing these strings I get frustrated when it is time and time again. The solder sounds like a good idea. I might spend a half hour tonight "fixing" the strings. I have a gig tomorrow evening and can't risk more E stings slippage solos!

Josh
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Hard to believe but, yes I just broke 3 new E strings in a row! The first two were looped, the last had a ball end that snapped away (I managed to use this string making the loop myself...). These Argentine guys are definitely crazy... unfortunately their strings sound better to my ears than
    Galli that are far more reliable. About the looped strings, one advantage is that if you want to mess with shims at the bridge, you can just loose the strings, hold them in place with a capo at the 12th fret, free the loop ends and adjust the bridge as you like.
  • Mac HackMac Hack San Diego, CANew
    I still prefer Argies. I now wind the entire string onto the peg. When a new string breaks, often at the bridge or tail piece, then I just unwind some string down off the peg head and pull it through the tail piece. Using a pair of needle nose pliers on the Leatherman Squirt P4, that I keep in my case, I tie the end of the string into a knot and retune up to pitch. Usually I break an A, D, or G string and this method works well for those strings. I would imagine that for a broken B or E string you would have to re-tie another loop. Another solution: Save a few of the balls from old strings and tie the string to one before retuning.
    "On apprend tous les jours." - Stéphane Grappelli
    Are the Argentine balls more reliable than the loops?