DjangoBooks.com

nut slot files low cost alternative, great for blank bridge string slots

Got this from eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131082180112
and it works great for making string slots when fitting a blank bridge.
It sure beats a $100 nut file set and should last a long, long time when used on wood.
In the brief communication I exchanged with the maker/owner he was very helpful and responsive.

I also got the jewelers saw which makes the whole job a breeze
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RB0KHK
and I was done making perfect slots in very little time.

There's a lot of us around here that fiddle with different bridges so hopefully you'll find this useful.

Cheers!
Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
bopstert-birdpickitjohn

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @Buco

Thanks mate been putting them off till now.

Glad you posted the links
  • mabmab
    Cool, I'll have try those next time. I was just banging the strings in with a hammer and a small metal rod but it ruins the strings and those aren't much more than a new set of strings. Have you tried them out on a nut?
    Didn't try it on the nut but it'll cut anything softer than stainless steel so brass, bone and such.
  • JehuJehu New Zealand✭✭✭
    Looks like good stuff for a bridge, but for the nut you'll probably still want something for the high e... I think .02 will be a bit big.
  • mabmab
    Thanks, missed the stainless part. Reread the ad and now I also understand the link for the jewelers saw. And also thanks Jehu.
    The maker told me a lot lot of people use it with pliers holding the loop end and finger guiding the front. I tried and it works but was taking me forever even on wood. Then I got the jewellers saw and didn't need more than a 5-6 passes on each string.
    I really like it.
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    @Buco - you working up to becoming a luthier?
    Maybe I do subconsciously.
    Realistically it's not in cards yet though, gotta make some money before I can afford to lose it.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @Buco
    I order and received the nut file set from the ebay seller.
    Upon opening the file set I REALIZED their the same as...

Oxygen-Acetylene Torch Tip Cleaner Kit

Home Depot has a set with twice the number of sizes for $3.97 in a holder.

My ebay set is heading back to seller.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-Oxygen-Acetylene-Torch-Tip-Cleaner-Kit-KH575/100341101

I'll check it out.
    Nice tip.