DjangoBooks.com

Solution for live sound?

Bandmate returned from NAMM with an account of a device that could be good news for "natural" acoustic sound with existing pickup. It's an amaxing pedal called the Tone Dexter. http://audiosprockets.com
Seems that it will learn, sample, and store a number of mics that you set it up with.
I have no interest or stock in this company! He was blown away and after checking the site out, I was too.
They haven't released info on pricing but imagine it might be costly.
Interested in your thoughts!

Comments

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015 Posts: 871
    Thanks for the heads up...looks very interesting.

There are a few products now that profile sound, the Kemper rack mount was the first I was aware of and The Axe- Fx II (best piece of guitar gear I have owned) followed suit. My guess is there is similar technology used and it has been available for electric amps for a few years now. Of course i could be talking out my a** but if it is similar, the Kemper comes in a bit over 1500.00 with considerably more bells and whistles.
    I can't wait till it's out. I have a first guitar sound modeler, I think, the Roland VG8 and still like it.
    We can play "the price is right", I say $599, that's around $40 per knob.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • I'm hoping less, @Buco, but think you're right on the money. My bandmate guessed around $500. The difference in this one is that you set it up with the mic sounds you want.
    Go into a friend's studio, play through the best mic in the house for about a minute, and it learns the sound. This isn't typical COSM technology with preset models.
    Less is maybe more for me @Scoredog. Enough EQ and a boost for solos.
    so I contacted Fractal (Axe-Fx) asking if their unit can do this and they say it can!...I'll have to give it a go but if it works I might be able to play GJ on an electric though I have no desire to do so, it would be at least good test and use the same basic technology. Btw i should admit I am an endorsee so take what I say about it with that knowledge. Also the Fractal unit is quite pricey but so are GJ guitars.
    rgrice wrote: »
     The difference in this one is that you set it up with the mic sounds you want.
    Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking, borrow all the fancy mics and pickups and learn them into the presets. Sounds exciting but we'll have to see how good of a job it does.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Here is an example with a few disclaimers...
    First the file is played on a Brian Moore solid body so the feel is a bit different than a GJ guitar and probably most important the piezo I used to tone match is also on the BM so the matching quality is probably not close to if i had used a GJ guitar with a piezo. Also this is the first time I tone matched and I can see results can be wildly different depending on the original source. also the source can be quite different depending on whether chords, notes, where on the neck etc etc is used. The example is in 3 parts.

1. A Holo D doing a bit of nuages (I added a touch of verb)
    2. Holo doing rhythm.
    3. Dupont doing rhythm and holo comes in for a lead.

None of this of course rivals the real deal but for a live bar situation it might work better than some other options, again i used a piezo electric to tone match, I am sure there are better options but i don't like piezo pickups on acoustics so I don't own one..:)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31773631/Tone Matching.mp3
  • @Buco it works with any existing piezo pickup! I think it holds over 100 models! Although 1 great mic sound would do it.
    @Stringswinger not bad, especially the Holo! Those things are amazing but so is price! How do you create the samples?
    Since I don't see a Stringswinger on this thread I'll presume you meant to write @Scoredog.
    On the Dupont I just took a piece of a recording I liked which I had done and used that as a test. For the Holo I recorded specifically with the intent of capturing it for the tone match (about 10 secs). They were recorded into my Daw "Logic". Logic then goes into the axe fx and the take is captured there. Then the piezo goes into the instrument input of the axe-fx and you record basically the same thing, click enter and compare.

After thinking about this for a few hours now I believe if I recorded the guitar with certain dynamics for the purpose of tone modeling and give a few more attempts it can be considerably better, and of course since it's pretty easy to do I'll try a few more later. The big test of course is live and since playing a Brian Moore guitar would ruin the facade of being a Gypsy guitarist i'm not sure how I will find out how well this works, but something will probably come to me.
  • Oops! I'm getting old @Scoredog! Gotcha. Would it make any difference with a piezo on a GJ guitar?
    I think you're right about tweaking capture.
  • Franz MoralesFranz Morales Philippines✭✭
    That sounds great @scoredog! A great option to have when you need to play loud. Cool.