DjangoBooks.com

Happy Anniversary to me

in Welcome Posts: 14
It was one year ago today that my kid brought over an old cheap acoustic he had laying around & I started to learn some chords.
Now I'm spending 1 to 2 hours a day mangling la pompe & fumbling arpeggios on an Asian oval hole.
Best mid-life crisis response yet IMO.
Buco

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @DoubleScotch
    Congratulations, be careful it's addictive. :-c
  • Kevin FurnissKevin Furniss France✭✭ AJL 503 XO
    Keep at it - Im nearly 3 years in,a bit most days and Im still mangling la pompe and fumbling arpegios - I think I need to search out someone to play with from time to time, its supposed to bring you on.

I have had a couple of battles to keep believing , have you had those moments yet ? and have you taken the step of trying to play with anyone else in this style ?
    terrassier wrote: »
    Keep at it - Im nearly 3 years in,a bit most days and Im still mangling la pompe and fumbling arpegios - I think I need to search out someone to play with from time to time, its supposed to bring you on.

I have had a couple of battles to keep believing , have you had those moments yet ? and have you taken the step of trying to play with anyone else in this style ?

Believing/battles/moments - yes I've had one or two. Or three. But I'm 53 and I keep my expectations real. I'm never going to be a monster. But I can already do some fun things, and I'll learn how to do more, and how to do them better.

I've played with a couple people who don't play this style ("wow, that's cool" is the usual response) and I'm hoping they'll get the bug. I haven't reached out to the couple people in my town who I know play this stuff. Just haven't felt comfortable doing that yet. But I plan to before too long.

Playing aside ... just listening to this stuff, the discovery and exploration of it, has been delightful, sometimes thrilling.

Anyway thanks for the encouragement, I'll keep at it. You too.
    pickitjohn wrote: »
    @DoubleScotch
    Congratulations, be careful it's addictive. :-c
    Thanks for the tip but you're too late - I'm afraid that ship has sailed. ;)

That's wonderful to hear.
    Sounds like you're on the right path, in the long run I think consistency is more important than the amount of time you put in, ie: 1hr every day>6hrs on Saturday.
    Do go ahead and find a jam. Even if you don't jump right in, you can watch and observe, hit a few chords here and there, just get comfortable and get to know the people that are in the same ship that you had mentioned has sailed on.
    pickitjohn
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel