DjangoBooks.com

Hello from NY

montemonte
in Welcome Posts: 23
Hi All
I am new to this forum but I have been reading the posts for a while. For the past couple of years i have been interested in learning gypsy jazz and have finally taken steps to make it happen. I have been listening to more GJ music, watching lessons and performance videos. Best step is I have started lessons with Stephane Wrembel. I am fortunate to live only 35 mins from him. Took my first lesson on my Eastman 804 oval hole archtop, but it is not the proper feel or sound. Will be ordering something from Michael today :)

Any tips are much welcomed.

Monte
MichaelHorowitz

Comments

Hey welcome!
    Dig in the forum, it's a bottomless pit of information.
    Check out this thread, it can give a lot to study:
    http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/12748/aha-moments-studying-gypsy-jazz/p1

Neat feature of the forum is the "related discussions" on the right bottom column.
    Let us know what you got from Michael.
    monte
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Do what Stephane tells you to do. He'll get you sorted out.
  • montemonte
    awesome...thanks guys
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @monte Welcome enjoy

Sounds like your definitely ON COURSE
    Doing all the right things.
    Best step is I have started lessons with Stephane Wrembel

Lucky You!

Michael will steer you right depending on what you want to spend. If you can, and have a genuine attraction to Django Style Music and $2000.00 Start with a Dupont Nomade. You'll be inspired playing, and if, and when you outgrow it, someone else will be ready to buy it. Much better value and resale.
    MichaelHorowitz
  • Welcome to the group. Great bunch of people post here....
    monte
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • montemonte
    thanks stuart and all others. it is great to get these first hand tips. i am definitely taking my time trying to learn proper form and not rush along. i hope i can find others locally to jam with over time. right now stephane has me going slowly one step at a time in a certain order. one thing i realize, my strumming arm and fret hand get tired because you don't stop. i come from a blues/rock back ground - alot less strumming :)