DjangoBooks.com

Willie and Trigger Talks about Django

pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
in Welcome Posts: 936
So Glad My Buddy Kent sent this to me.

Enjoy...
Willie and Trigger

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    You may wish to jump to 1:08 where he talks about Django.
    I Love where someone from Nora Jones's group "The Willie's" said Willie plays like Django with ONE FINGER and he's flattered someone thought he is 1/2 as good as DJANGO.
    True words.
    At the workshop with Stephane Wrembel he was gentlemanly pissed that Django is being put in this bucket of Gypsy jazz and here is the guy that gave us this wonderful universe of music that very few have and will ever approach.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    I've always liked the way Willie Nelson looks after his guitar.
    Svanis1337
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    edited March 2015 Posts: 476
    "this bucket of Gypsy Jazz"
    Maybe we'll start visualizing Django outside of that bucket; and who knows where he belongs?
    We can talk about music and we can dance about architecture.
    Someone good with language should give him a word or words that are a better descriptor of how he played guitar. It's ungainly, but I came up with Impressionist Guitar but that's still a rickety bucket.
    Buco
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    I wonder how many people would feel this fitted into the category of Gypsy Jazz if they did no know it was Django playing? His beautiful, nuanced, swinging solo is hardly the frenetic, unrelenting, torrent of notes we hear from most Gypsy Jazz players.

A Gent
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    edited March 2015 Posts: 936
    Nice one @TeddyDupont
    "Bop-Bitty-Bop-Bop"
    Certainly a good one for the Dance Crowd.
    Love the space between the notes that keeps it SWINGING.
    It's a walk through the fairgrounds and miles from the busy Formula 1 track of Gypsy Jazz.
    It's a conversation. Relaxed and free.
    It's a swing background with a guitarist constantly, gently, adding harmonic structures that stretch the category "swing" but never at all in a way that disturbs the familiar warm feel.
    pickitjohnBuco
    I've always liked the way Willie Nelson looks after his guitar.

I don't know if this is a nice thing to say or not but somehow in some weird way the condition of that guitar's top seems to match the condition of his skin and vice versa.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    edited March 2015 Posts: 476
    Uncanny - beautiful (Place de Broukere)