DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

KaseyBoyla GianniG mhabrnal pigonthewing81 stuology Prestonjazzfest Bent gillawatts

My first attempt at trying to work Django into my style

jazzygtrjazzygtr Stillwater, MN✭✭ Gibson J-35
in Welcome Posts: 80
Good morning all. I'll start by saying that I've been approaching Minor Swing from two sides:

1) Learning it note-4-note and playing it on acoustic with as much of the Gypsy style picking I am capable of right now... and this video is certainly is NOT that :)

2) I just simply love Django's sense of rhythm, groove and melody when he solos (I hear his solos as themes and melodies and just LOVE them), and I would like to start incorporating some of those specific things into my playing style and improvising SPECIFICALLY when I'm not playing in a gypsy jazz context. And that is what this short video clip is about.

So in this video I was thinking more of a bluesy jazz style, and wanting to put a few things in from Django that I love as well. This was a much longer jam than I have here (only a minute and a half here), and you'll notice toward the end of this jam I threw in one chorus from Django's actual solo as well (not played perfect, but it felt right to go there with the chorus I had played right before it which was heavily Django influenced).

This is the only video I've ever posted here, and I'm sorry if it's not hard core gypsy jazz, but I am having A LOT of fun trying to find places to stick in some Django while I'm playing in another style all together :) And I hope you enjoy.

Tech notes: This is just cheap Epiphone ES-175 plugged straight into an acoustic amp and the backing track run into the Aux in of the amp.

YouTube Link: youtu.be/b20eMAp1neE

Comments

• GuitGuyGuitGuy Grand Junction, CO✭✭ AJL 503 X-O
    Nice job! I think it's very useful to try and incorporate what draws you to Django's music in your own, natural playing. It's one thing to try and nail his solos note-for-note, and quite another to "channel" his inspiration in your own way. Keep up the good work!
  • jazzygtrjazzygtr Stillwater, MN✭✭ Gibson J-35
    Thanks so much. Really the first chorus in this video is as close as I get to incorporating what I've been learning from Django (note choice, phrasing, etc.) and that is what lead me to play the next chorus which is as close as I could get to note-4-note-Django. The rest is just me digging back into my old style.

So again, thanks for any comments and/or opinions. Just trying to grow and change as a player, and Django certainly inspires!!!
    BucoGuitGuy