DjangoBooks.com

Paris gypsy guitar shops?

Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
in Welcome Posts: 147
Hi,

I would like to visit paris next month and maybe buy a gypsy guitar if i find something i really like.

What are the shops in Paris i should visit?
I only know JB Castellucia shop that i will visit, i want to to visit more shops to try more guitars.

Comments

• Kevin FurnissKevin Furniss France✭✭ AJL 503 XO
    http://www.guitare-village.com/index.php

This shop always seems to have a good selection of used guitars - might be worth a look.

Its on my list to visit.
    wim
  • shaunshaun
    Check out guitar village. It's about 30 km outside Paris but is the best place for used quality gypsy guitars. Also F Charle in Paris always has great instruments. Check out i'atelier du charonne for great music!!
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Guitar Village has probably the widest choice, and their prices are fair too. This link goes straight to their stock of Jazz guitars, but the links at the bottom show a lot more of what they have sold. They seem to do a good turnover. http://www.guitare-village.com/occasion/jazz/jazz.php

This link is for their new stock, several quality luthiers represented here; http://www.guitare-village.com/neuf.php

Another old name from the past is Pierre Fontaine (he worked for Busato) and his Selmer copies are sold out of the family business Rome Instruments which coincidentally is right across the street from Castelluccia, check their website at; http://www.romeinstruments.fr/catalogue-fiche.php?produit_nom=jazz_manouche_pierre_fontaine_ de la marque&produit_id=255

For more on Fontaine and Busato pick up a copy of Vintage Vertigo (I think it was the first volume, the one with the Gibson acoustic on the cover) from F. Charle. Also, of course a visit to Le Chope Des Puces is a must too.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited February 2015 Posts: 1,454
    * The best and biggest is Guitare Village as already mentioned. It's a little outside the ring road of paris.
    * RF Charle is a beautiful shop definitely worth a visit. It's right in the centre near the Louvre.
    * Dupont showroom has many guitars but unfortunately they are all duponts. Avenue Daumesnil in the 12eme.
    * Don't overlook private sales, you can find some great bargains on leboncoin.fr
    * You can usually find a few gypsy guitars in most regular guitar shops in Paris! Rue de Douai in Pigalle is a hotspot, virtually every shop on the street is selling guitars or sex. Rue de Rome in the 8eme is also a great spot for instruments, and if you are already visiting JB Castelluccia you will be very close, just have a walk around near there.

and a guy on the forums mitch mercier always seems to have a guitar or two for sale! he has quite a collection

this map helps : https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zAIXQdEIIe-s.kdZcftOscJ8w
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I stopped by RF Charle's shop a few years ago. It's a bit hard to find but well worth the effort. Make sure you check on the times that the shop is open. The front door may be locked if he is working in his shop. I found him to be very friendly and helpful. After we chatted a bit, he invited me to try any of the guitars on the wall, headed to his shop in the back, and said I should call him if I had any questions.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
    My search for a guitar is over! Got this lovely Castelluccia's Django Castel guitar:
    After talking to Castelluccia I felt very confident to buy his guitar. He is a very nice person and cares very much for his guitars.
    I tried a bunch of more expensive guitars, but this one blew most of them away.
    Bucopickitjohnwim
    Oh man that's awesome! Seems like a beautiful top, I would to see details , post a few hi-res pics when you can.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Looks lovely - maybe post a video ?