DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

FranVac shaneb stylist

BlueChip SR60: Speed Bevel or Round Tip

A recent thread here got me thinking about trying a BlueChip SR60 to sweeten up my Altamira M01.

I'm just wondering whether I choose the round bevel as opposed to the speed bevel. I heard from BlueChip that the round tip is a bit darker but that's a subjective opinion.

Tagged:

Comments

• Craig DenneyCraig Denney Columbus, Ohio✭✭ 2011 Zwinakis
    I have one. I'd get the speed bevel. Mine has the bevel, but I have the XR60 with the round bevel, and it's way too mellow. And I just don't like the attack it can give...glides off the strings too easily.
    kevorkazito
    I went with speed bevel.
    Still mellow and warm sounding with that round tip.
    kevorkazito
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • The side corner edge of my KS is rounded and not too far from the profile of a SR. tip. While OK for rhythm I personally find the attack too flabby for me.
    kevorkazito
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • NemanjaNemanja ALD Original
    I've got the SR60 with the speed bevel and I really love it! It's my favourite GJ-pick at the moment.
    I also have the TD60 without the speed bevel and I find it doesn't glide through the strings that easily.
    Jazzaferrikevorkazito
    Speed bevel sort of develops naturally as you wear the pick, other picks not the blue chip as it barely wears after years of using it, so when I was ordering mine that to me was the only way to go.
    Is there a situation where round bevel is better?
    Jazzaferrikevorkazito
  • TexasRedTexasRed South Texas, San Antonio✭✭ Dupont Nomade
    i have an xr with the speed bevel, its still pretty round and the bevel is less pronounced than other my other BCs. Buco has a point, your not going to wear a bevel into it so i think its best to just order it that way
    kevorkazito
  • kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
    Thanks for the comments. I'm still on the fence about paying 50 bucks by the time the pick gets to me. If it sounds great then I guess it's worth it.
  • JSantaJSanta MD✭✭✭ Altamira M01
    I've heard great things about these picks. I spent about $25 on my current Gypsy Jazz pick and I have never felt like I overspent. The Blue Chips last forever and I think you'll be more keen to keep an eye on it.
    Don't judge it immediately, give it a week or so. That's about how long it took me to realize the difference for the better.
    But then I did a blind test with a friend where a friend was playing turned away from me and me listening and I picked out blue chip as my favorite tone among 5 or so other picks, all the usual GJ suspects.
    kevorkazito
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Altamira M30, Wide Sky PL-1
    edited February 2015 Posts: 415
    Just made comparison between SR 80 and V Pick Large Rounded Pearly Gates. Exact same shape, V Pick is 2.75mm and has very comparable sound and feel. V Pick is $4.00. Some sanding was required to "warm up" the sound, as bevels tend to be too sharp for my taste.
    kevorkazito