DjangoBooks.com

In Search of La Pompe

Kevin FurnissKevin Furniss France✭✭ AJL 503 XO
in Technique Posts: 85
Another La Pompe thread...
Here's my efforts,unfortunately havent played with anyone in this style so its from youtube videos.

I like the clean crisp modern style.

I may have 1&2 where 3&4 should be ?! also sound kind of loose and jangly.

Any advice appreciated.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Kr9K_VqwYmc&feature=youtu.be

Comments

• Your timing sounds ok. I suggest always practicing with a metronome.

Your 2 and 4 sound a little louder than your 1 and 3. They should be the same volume. Practice along with videos or songs you like and try to duplicate their sound.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Jim's advice is good but as a twist, i would say that the 1 and 3 are a bit too weak in relation to the 2 and 4 (great sound on the 2 and 4)... the 1 and 3 could use more meat.. dig into the strings, especially on the bass to get that crunchy sound...

also, it really depends, but for my tastes, i hear too much of the pick on the 1 and 3, and the upstroke sounds a bit lazy. The upstroke needs to be extremely close to the downstroke, as if they form one sound.

listen to this

skip to amati playing rhythm (the younger guy), he's doing the upstroke and it's so close to the dwonstroke that u barely hear it... also he s not making it as pronounced...

here's one where the upstroke is more pronounced , but we don't hear the pick noise too much and it is really close to the downstroke

last but not least, there are many ways to do the rhythm so it's a long journey!
  • I'd defer to what Denis says.
  • Kevin FurnissKevin Furniss France✭✭ AJL 503 XO
    Thanks very much for the input.

There is a DiJ Vid that has the Dennis others players playing the modern sound that im after.

Adrian Holovaty, Denis Chang, Jeff Radaich, Gonzalo Bergara, Olli Soikkeli, and Sebastien Boyer.

2&4 seem to contain hardly any music ( as Adrian puts it) and hardly an upstroke in front of 1&3

Less is more :)

Thanks again - its a fantastic forum.

Buco
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 1,231
    With that drier sound, the chord should still be "present." I hope you understand what I mean.
    Passacaglia
    After a bit more practice, I think I may have the beginnings of that dryer sound ..... any thoughts ? am I going in the right direction ?
    Cheers

Try to ignore the work clothes !
    GuitGuy
    That sounds pretty damn good.
    One criticism I received at DiJ (from Rino) is to not emphasize the first beat of every other bar, you're doing somewhat the same thing. Although it's very possible that you'd play slightly different with a band versus on your own so that might change too.
    I'd personally try to have a little less of a brush against the strings sound.
    But it sounds really good, I've heard rhythm players playing live with a band that didn't sound as good as this.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Buco...thanks for the encouragement !

Yep there is something a bit odd going on,I need to get the rhythm really straight as a base and then would like be able to add some of those accents here and there ( I haven't found a video of anyone describing whats going on there,sounds like a strong upward rake /?!) .Also I hear what you say about the brush sound, I suppose that could be the pick angle,the pick, or the part of the pick...... lots to work on.

Are there any videos of the solo without the Backing ?
    Yes, your solo.

Another option is Joscho Stephan online academy, he has isolated solo tracks he recorded for that exact purpose.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel