DjangoBooks.com

La pompe do I have the general idea.

TexasRedTexasRed South Texas, San Antonio✭✭ Dupont Nomade
edited January 2015 in Technique Posts: 22
I've been working with Denis' the Art of accompaniment, it's a very good video. But by definition a dvd isn't going to give me any feedback. So I'll ask here.

Just using my d18 until I get my Nomade, and using a simple unembellished progression so I can work on the technique any tips? What am I doing wrong, what am I doing right?

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    edited January 2015 Posts: 3,319
    Hi TR,

I don't have any way to post a vid but I'll try to describe a few things.

For the left hand damp all beats. Don't let the 1 and 3 ring.

For the right hand:

-Play thru all the strings even on the 1 and 3. Your 1 and 3 you are just hitting the bass strings.
    -The 1 and 3 should be more of a 'rake'. Really dig in with the pick.
    -The 2 and 4 should be a whip or snap.
    -All beats should have similar power, just a different feel or attack on the 1 and 3 vs. the 2 and 4.

-Watch/listen you your favorite rhythm players and try to emulate their technique and sound.

-Be patient. It's not as easy as it looks. Use an even simpler progression like Minor Blues or Minor Swing or just one chord and concentrate on technique.

-When you do change chords in a more complicated progression keep the sound the same when switching chords, don't let them ring (sometimes it's ok to let them ring for effect but not usually). Be able to control the sound/attack and keep it consistent thru chord changes. When navigating changes it is good to pick your inversions so that you have enough time to get there cleanly without compromising your time/sound.

hope that helps
    Buco
    Above advice is spot on.
    I just wanted to add, close your right hand like you did at 0:12.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • TexasRedTexasRed South Texas, San Antonio✭✭ Dupont Nomade
    It is definitely harder than it looks. Being primarily a bluegrass mandolin player I thought that it sounded pretty simple, but I have accepted the fact that I was wrong. Really other than the muting with the left hand, there isn't much that the bluegrass mandolin chop has in common with la pompe

Thanks I'll try to take this advice to heart. It's already sounding better now that I'm muting all the beats. I've gotta work on striking through the strings and I'll try to keep my hand closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    In general, I try to think about it as setting a solid foundation but being subtle and understated at the same time.

Yeah, I thought about mentioning the right hand fingers but decided to let it go but probably Buco is right as I don't think anyone plays rhythm that way in this style (even Jimmy plays lead that way but I believe he switches to the closed fist for rhythm).
  • MattHenryMattHenry Washington, DC✭✭✭✭
    This is a good start. Here are few things to think about and then some links....

Don't slap at the 2 and 4 like that. Bend your wrist and swivel it like you're trying to re-position a watch or bracelet. Practice not moving your forearm at all to isolate and work on the swivel motion in your wrist.

The 2 and 4 should never be louder than the 1 and 3. They should be even in volume with the 1 and 3 slightly longer.

The 1 and the 3 shouldn't have that much sustain.

Here are some instruction examples:
    Adrien Moignard

Gonzalo Bergara

Here's Romane playing an even rhythm while instructing about something else:

Here's Fanto and Yayo Reinhardt backing up Romane:

Here's Fapy pomping for Tchavolo where you can see he's not slapping at the 2 and 4:

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @TexasRed when you go for something you don't mess around.
    Dupont Nomade = first Guitar 5 Stars there
    Posting a video asking advice = another 5 Stars
    All that was already posted is right on keep at it.
    You may like to check out the Following Youtube post from DIJ 2012

here is the original post

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/11688/ae-video-finding-the-elusive-gyspy-swing-rhythm/p1

Finding the Elusive Gypsy Swing Rhythm! Six Examples...
  • TexasRedTexasRed South Texas, San Antonio✭✭ Dupont Nomade
    edited January 2015 Posts: 22
    Yep John, dive In head first or stay out of the water I say ;)

My goal is not to sound like someone who tries to play this style, or who dabbles but authentic, this is an important detail of course so I feel like I gotta get this right from the get go

I'll have to take all this in over time, I'll try to watch them a few times each and absorb it all.
  • An exercise that I found helpful for a while was to set the metronome on a slow beat subdivided into 16ths and then practice first chord as a 16th and second chord as a 16th ...timing by lifting the fingers just enough to mute .... Once that was clean then the first note as an 8th and second as a 16th........finally onto first note as 3/16th and second note a 16th.

From getting that level of timing control down then can the fun of trying really dry crisp.....swinging it more......and all the submariners of this style

That's where I Amin rhythm playing now, exploring the intricacies and revisiting chord voicings....Inhave learned more new voicings in the last six months than the previous 6 years. I am amazed at how many I can figure out, though I am sure they are all in a book somewhere.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    A common way to learn rhythm playing is to set your metronome to around 90 and start playing (rake) only the one and three. After you start to get that, work on only the two and four. Stephane Wrembel's book, Getting into Gypsy Jazz Guitar, only spends a few pages on rhythm, but it gives you a lot to work on, with a CD included, at less than $20. Of course Michael Horowitz' Gypsy Rhythm is the encyclopedia of "le pompe". Both books are available at Djangobooks.com. Here is a Facebook link to a great video from one of the forum members that explains this method.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Watch Joschi Graf
    The chords ring clean on all beats but very short.
    It sounds so punchy while leaving the soloist plenty of dynamics.
    He's relaxed as hell too, but not dragging the tempo.
    Look at the "pumping" motion of his fretting hand.
    Listen to the basic swing "drumming" of his right hand.