DjangoBooks.com

Hello! Long time lurker, 1st time poster.

dorkydave1dorkydave1 Richmond VA Altamira M10D
in Welcome Posts: 7
Hello all,

Been perusing this site off and on for quite some time; very interesting discussions and lots of useful information to be found here, thanks very much for that.

Is anybody on here in the central Virginia/Richmond area?

Comments

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Hey, welcome to the community! There's a great gypsy-jazz guitarist called Rick Olivarez in Charlottesville, Va. Maybe find him on Facebook?
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    One more thing: this page has a bunch of links to bands in the area(ish). Maybe it's helpful? http://www.hcofdc.com/links.html
  • Jim GallaherJim Gallaher Staunton, VA 2012 ALD La Brune
    If you get to the Staunton area, send me a note. I play GJ on mandolin and it's a GJ desert over here.
  • Yes indeed, welcome, to our community
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • dorkydave1dorkydave1 Richmond VA Altamira M10D
    Thanks for the welcomes and the links, Adrian.i do play in a GJ group here in RVA; there are actually two of us in town (we share the bassist and the chromatic harmonica player) and it is lots of fun. Currently using an old beat-to-crap but plays very well and sounds pretty okay Gitane DG-255, but looking to upgrade very soon. Fortunately, very few members of any audiences we play for likely have any idea of what a gypsy guitar should sound like anyway, so it takes some of the pressure off.
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Welcome!
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    You can also check with Hot Club de Big Lick (Roanoke) and Gypsy Roots around Ashland.
    - JG
  • dorkydave1dorkydave1 Richmond VA Altamira M10D
    Oh yeah, we all know about Gypsy Roots - they are really, really good. We actually have a "Djangoary" concert every year here to honor Django's birthday; this year the headliner was Stephane Wrembel and Gypsy Roots is pretty much the house band for it every year. From what I can tell, in the immediate area the only guys that play the gypsy style on a regular basis are the Gypsy Roots guys, my group and the other Richmond group I mentioned (Django Tango). Then there is one of the original founders of Gypsy Roots, James Beard, who still fills in occasionally.

Very small community but at least we have one, right?