DjangoBooks.com

Me Hum Matto

AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
edited March 2006 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 277
Me Hum Matto
from "Romani" with Koen De Cauter
Vivi Limberger, rhythm guitar

This is a good tune to take beginners beyond the foundation of "Minor Swing." Cool II-V action in the first repeat.

Gm | % Gm6/D | Cm6 | % |

D7 | % | Gm D7 | Gm Gm6 |

G7 % D7/A Adim | G7/B (Fdim)| Cm G7 | Cm (Cm/Bb) |

1.)
F (F/A) | F7 F7+/C# | Bb/D Eb | A7 D7 :||

2.)
Gm6 Gm6/D | A7 | Cm D7 | Gm6/D D7 ||

% = previous chord

Chords in parentheses are options for beats three and four, exept for the F/A in the first repeat, which Vivi precedes with Cm/Bb.

Sorry, no chord grids. The D7 is always here:

--X--
--3--
--5--
--4--
--5--
--X--

The Cm/Bb could be like this, or else Vivi stretches and grabs the Bb on the fifth string.

--X--
--4--
--5--
--5--
--X--
--6--

Vivi's fingering of Gm6/D is like this, IIRC. Putting the m6 in the soprano really brings it out.

--X--
--5--
--3--
--5--
--5--
--X--

In bar 11, when Vivi does a simple Cm G7, at one point he puts the F of the G7 in the soprano, thus:

--1--
--3--
--4--
--5--
--X--
--X--

This sounds really good against the melody, IIRC.

The F7+5/C# is here:

--X--
--2--
--2--
--3--
--4--
--X--

All these are good choices given either the melody, the bass of the ensuing chord, or the interval that really brings out color.

Vivi is even more deft with inversions and subs on the tune that follows, "Djiné tu nog".

As always, he is light and swinging.

Cheers,
Ando

PS -- I have no idea what the lyrics are. I seem to recall the title means something like "I am drunk." Here's to hoping.

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Ando,

Great post! I agree about this Gm6 voicing-it's one of my own semi-secret weapons for all things Minor Swingish:
    Ando wrote:
    Vivi's fingering of Gm6/D is like this, IIRC. Putting the m6 in the soprano really brings it out.

--X--
    --5--
    --3--
    --5--
    --5--
    --X--

This one I'll have to work on, though!
    Ando wrote:
    In bar 11, when Vivi does a simple Cm G7, at one point he puts the F of the G7 in the soprano, thus:

--1--
    --3--
    --4--
    --5--
    --X--
    --X--

Now I've got yet another album to buy, damn you!

Thanks again,
    Jack.
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    Jack

I'm not certain of the middle voices in that G7 -- the main thing is that I'm pretty sure the F is in the soprano.

"Romani" is an interesting record. I agree with Michael Dregni in thinking that its mix levels are unusual. It sounds very live, and be aware there are vocals in Romany. In feel, it's more along the lines of a Schnuckenack record than one by the Rosenbergs.

I think everything involving Koen De Cauter is worth a listen. Be sure to check out "La Ronde des Jurons" as well.

Ando
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    edited June 2022 Posts: 1,308

Resurrecting an old thread. Been playing the Romani CD the last week or so. I always love the timbre in Vivi's voice when he sings. Some of the gang vocals when they all join on the various songs on this disc are just super. They have Tschawo, Tu Djaial, Djine tu nog, and this song (Me Hum Matto). Ando asked what the lyrics mean. Tcha posted this great video last year that I just found tonight:

Tcha also adds a comment on the lyrics:

this is a drinking song. "I'm drunk, you're drunk, what does it matter, that's how Sinti like to live, good food and drink, that's all they want"

AndyWWillieBillDaCostaWilliamsmac63000BucoCameron Jones
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

Video also shows a pic of one of those Sicilian guitars in line with the other thread on the topic. I've started noticing them popping up in different places. Cool tune, too!

billyshakesAndyW

I could totally drink with this song.

billyshakesmac63000ChristopheCaringtonAndyW
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited July 2022 Posts: 825

The song in the 1969 version sung by Schnuckenack Reinhardt, Daweli Reinhardt is playing lead guitar as far as I know:

billyshakesBillDaCostaWilliamsAndyW