DjangoBooks.com

Body and Soul 1:40-1:47

KcoxKcox Montreal, QCNew
edited April 2006 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 110
I guess this would be the correct forum for this... Django's banjo-esque lick from 1:40-1:47 on this solo (when the B section starts and before the ascending chromatic run) is killing me! It sounds like the pattern itself is probably very simple but I have spent two hours listening to this 7 seconds of music at 20% speed and I can't get any further than the first two and a half seconds.

Has anyone out there bothered to learn this lick?

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i'll check it out tomorrow night if i remember.... or unless someone replies!!!
  • Tom LandmanTom Landman Brooklyn, NY✭✭✭✭ 6 strings
    Hello Kcox,

Well noone has replied so I'll take a stab at it.

The lick is basically descending diatonic 6ths in the key of E. The 6ths are played as A/C#, G#/B and F#/A (on the 1st/3rd strings), then E/G#, D#/F# and C#/E (on the 2nd/4th strings), and then B/D#, A/C# and G#/B (on the 3rd/ 5th strings).

By the way, the ascending run that follows this lick is not chromatic but an E minor scale (dorian) played with astonishing speed.

Hope this helps.
    - Tom

Kcox wrote:
    I guess this would be the correct forum for this... Django's banjo-esque lick from 1:40-1:47 on this solo (when the B section starts and before the ascending chromatic run) is killing me! It sounds like the pattern itself is probably very simple but I have spent two hours listening to this 7 seconds of music at 20% speed and I can't get any further than the first two and a half seconds.

Has anyone out there bothered to learn this lick?
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i showed it to kevin in person way back when he first posted this msg, but i forgot to post it here...

here it is