DjangoBooks.com

Altamira 01 and Altamira 10

Rob MacKillopRob MacKillop Edinburgh, Scotland✭✭✭✭
in Welcome Posts: 201
Considering buying my first gypsy jazz guitar. Money is tight, so I'm wondering if there is such a big jump between the 01 and the 10? Quality, tone, playability, that sort of thing. All advice gratefully received.

Comments

• VeedonFleeceVeedonFleece London✭✭ Altamira M01D
    Owner of an Altamira 01D here. Couldn't be happier with it. But I think it really helps to play a few before you buy. You should try and find the right one that speaks to you (and that might end up even being a Cigano or a Gitane in the end). As @stuart says, a used luthier model might also be possible at close to the same money. Good luck!
  • Rob MacKillopRob MacKillop Edinburgh, Scotland✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys. The only ones I've ever seen in Edinburgh are the Saga brand. I would need to order online. I like the dry sound, and don't mind laminates - I've played enough jazz guitar to know that laminates can be good. Working hard on the right-hand technique on a cheap acoustic archtop, and now feel a barking-mad Altimara is in order. The 01 might do.
  • My vote goes with what Stuart said. If you are patient, you can get one at quite a bit less than new and no 20% VAT
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Ok, I'll keep an eye out for a while. Thanks, guys.
  • If you decide on new really pays to go somewhere they have several to try out.

Promenade Music in Morecambe had a decent GJ guitar in October. When I was there but it was the only one I could see.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    My local Guitar Guitar store have Altimara as one of their brands, but nothing in stock. After Christmas I should be able to talk them into getting a couple of them in stock. Otherwise, there is a shop in Brighton seem to have a few. A long way for me to go to, though, and expensive.
    Thanks, Stuart.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I should mention that although laminate is the norm for Selmer guitars, you're usually better off with all solid woods on the Asian models as the laminate is of much poorer quality than what Selmer or an contemporary European luthier would use. There's generally a big improvement in sound when you move up to the solid wood Altamiras (M10, M20, and M30) as you're getting a nice solid piece of rosewood or what have you. The laminates are pretty amazing for the $, but noticeably harsher in tone.
    OK, Michael, thanks. I understand.
  • My 2 cents. If you've been playing guitar for years and are smitten by GJ, it would be safe to assume you're gonna be unsatisfied pretty quickly with an entry level budget guitar. I've heard only good things about Altamira's, but if you're like me, and most others on this forum, in 18 months, you're gonna want an upgrade. Altamira's run a bit over $1k I think. Save another $1k and get a Dupont Nomade. You've then got a better(handmade!) guitar to begin with and to stick with. You'll also have more equity with a more in demand instrument in the event you then want an upgrade. I doubt you'd need one though.
    I'm not on the payroll and Michael is a very accomdating and no pressure guy. Most players would agree that you should get as much guitar as you can afford. I might say get a little bit more than you can afford. If you're not sure or totally serious then disregard my advice! I don't want you getting in trouble with your wife!
    Check out a recent discussion:
    http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/13646/when-how-did-you-decide-to-spend-the-big-bucks-for-that-special-guitar#latest
    Good luck!
    MichaelHorowitz