DjangoBooks.com

Out of Print?

JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
edited June 2006 in History Posts: 1,752
Hi all,

I've been wondering lately if there's a way we can shortcut the long circuit of bootleg/live/out of print trading. I know it's been brought up before to no avail, but I still think it's a viable idea. I've spent so much time making copies of things that people can't find that I know there's a demand, and I really think the whole gypsy jazz community will benefit from having these recordings readily available.

The first step, I think, would be for all of us to come up with a list of what's out there (be it out of print, live, etc.). I'm hoping we can do that here, so start posting your requests-but note that what I don't want to do is encourage trading discs that are still available commercially.

Ideally, someone on the forum will have an FTP site that they can make available to all of us-that way we can all upload and download the goods. Without something like that, I doubt this would work; we'd just be relying on whomever has the best collection, and whoever that is (Dennis) would soon be tired of constantly sending off the same things. But if we can work together, it could be great.

What do you think?

Best,
Jack.

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    my friend ramsezaz operates such a thing... i gave him a bunch of goodies and he's been sharing it for while... and i also gave shredfusion a whole bunch of videos that he''s been putting on googlevideos....

my work is complete!!!

thanks especially to those who originally made the bootleg videos!!!!
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    Jack,

I think I may be able to do something. Could probably spare 2-3 gigs, which would be quite a lot of files in .mp3 format. Is that what you were thinking of? .shn or FLAC files are lossless but much larger in size.

Stay tuned, let me see if I can configure a directory for public upload.

John
    OK, here we go.
    Server:   ftp.sugarinthegourd.com
    Login:    [email protected]
    Password: *

* rather than publicly post the password, I'll say it's the title (one word, all lower-case) of a Django composition named for a red-haired club owner. Send me an email or PM if you need more than that hint.

Once the files are uploaded they will be downloadable via ftp using the info above or in a web browser via http://gypsyjazz.sugarinthegourd.com/

If someone would like to try uploading something, please feel free.

Please, nothing that is currently available via any legitimate commercial source. Also, please compress in some format (mp3, shn, FLAC). No raw .wav files.

File & folder names must contain only ASCII letters (a-z,A-Z), digits (0-9), underscore, dot and dash. Names must not start with a dot (.) or dash (-).
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic, that's just the sort of thing I was thinking about. I'm rushing off to work, but I JUST bought a new laptop, so maybe I'll be able to upload something tonight...thanks for hosting!

Best,
    Jack.
    Haven't seen any posts on this thread, but there has been some activity on the ftp site. 5 albums now hosted & I see a lot of download traffic...
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I'm actually trying to upload some stuff right now, but keep getting a 'critical transfer error'...I'll see what I can do.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Latcho Drom's album La Verdine is still commercially available to my knowledge, so you should remove it when you get the chance.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i'm going to upload as soon as i know the pasword.. and i dont want help... but it's driving me nuts... iu've tried every django composition that has a person's name in it... nothing works!!! are you sure it's a django composition?
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Not a name, a nick-name. It works.

Craig
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Any ideas on how to vet the availability status of recordings before posting to the FTP?

Craig