DjangoBooks.com

New GJ albums with vocals

DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
edited November 2014 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 172
I just bought the album by the group below,
having listened to mainly instrumental contemporary GJ, anyone can recommend any good contemporary recordings with vocals?

Petrov

Comments

• BarkonatorBarkonator Medina, OH✭✭ Mazaud - Vieux Paris
    My favorite contemporary recording with vocals is "Rendezvous at the Nightery" by the Robin Nolan Trio with Brandi Shearer.

There is also "Gypsy in My Soul" by Connie Evingson, I think Pearl Django plays with her on a lot of that album.

The New Hot Club of America's album has 3 or 4 songs with vocals on it as well.

Hope this helps!

• Eva Sur Seine
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    My recommendations:

Eva Sur Seine (amsterdam)
    Sara French sextet (paris)
    Cyrille Aimée (new york)
    Trio BBQ (montreal)
    Ultrafox (melbourne)
    La mauvaise reputation (melbourne)
    Hedgehog sextet (paris)

and here's a fun vid from tcha badjo (from???? the world!)

lostjohnpickitjohnPetrov
  • lostjohnlostjohn Charleston, WV✭✭ Altamira M01
    Love Eva sur Seine! They are fantastic.
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    A second for Connie Evingson's albums with GJ bands (or any of her albums, for that matter). Her latest is with John Jorgenson's outfit.

Given the environment in which the Hot Club arose and worked, I'm surprised there's not more singing (and dance-tempo playing) in contemporary Django-rooted music. The historical repertory is certainly full of great songs.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    edited November 2014 Posts: 1,252
    Some great names on this list. I know Leah Zeger has started singing in this style recently. She did a few tunes on the NHCOA album.

If you're looking for vocal driven modern music with Hotclub roots, there are some related types of French vocal music that make use of GJ guitars, Eastern rhythms and the presentation energy of Bal Musette. It's very cool stuff and the musicians cross over between the genres. Check out 'Norig' & 'Paris Combo' as two great examples. If you like GJ, I suspect you'll like it.

You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • T1mothyT1mothy ✭✭ Furch petite bouche
    Im just gonna leave this here

• kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    @wimglenn the guys who form the core of Tcha Badjo are originally from Montreal but have been on walkabout for a couple of years. I remember teaching Damien some of his first licks before I introduced him to Dennis, and within a few weeks he could tear my face off.
    wim
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Eva Slongo is quite the singer and violinist. Laura Gerhardt with Swing Je T'aime is a very nice vocalist. I'm not sure about recordings, but I imagine there are some available.
  • EmmettRayEmmettRay Honolulu, Hawaii✭✭✭✭ Koa Iseman, AJL XO-503, Holo Busato
    One of my favorites is Leah Zeger - Pour Moi. She sings in a few different languages, great sound and production!