DjangoBooks.com

Sideways

Comments

• AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    And here I thought it was just me, scraping my knuckles up on my right hand. As far as sideways goes, I have switched off depending if I am playing rhythm (rounded side) or lead (pointy side). I sound like an amateur no matter how I hold it...both with a $17 Wegen or a $1 Dunlop Big Stubby.
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Many teachers emphasize playing relaxed and loose; Michael even details that advice to include one's whole body, through the arm, ending at the fingers holding the pick, because tension anywhere can affect playing.
    There must be some truth in that! I tried the opposite, it didn't work...
    pickitjohn
  • Or...you buy what works for you.....and if asked provide honest input.....

Btw.....Blue chip are cheaper now than when they first came out...and not the most expensive pick out there..... :point: :D
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Courtesy of @bopster Paul I got to try the Dunlop primetone round pick
    http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/primetone-semiround-print
    It's actually in the same family of tone as Blue Chip SR60 and I liked it. That could be a good pick to try inexpensively to see if you might like the pricey SR60 but it is a good pick on it's own. I suspected for a while that the tone I'm getting from SR60 is at least half due to the shape of the tip. I guess that's what you guys are finding with the side tip of Gators.

@Chiefbigeasy these will definitely have a darker tone, which in my case was exactly what I was after, but I also believe that the wider striking area of rounder tip gets you stronger attack. I think it gets you more snap with less work.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • I think Sebastien Giniaux made some comment about getting a fatter tone with a rounded picking surface as well.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    edited November 2014 Posts: 393
    Courtesy of @bopster Paul I got to try the Dunlop primetone round pic
    Sculpted edges! Now we're talking. That's what I like most with the Wegens, so far. Thanks, I'll try them if I don't succeed with the purple Dunlops.
  • fabulousfabulous ✭✭
    edited November 2014 Posts: 18

at min 21:29 you see that Adrien Moignard use Dunlop delrin 1.5 mm pick
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    wow nice video, how have I not come across that one before!
  • No offense to anyone, but I wish I hadn't even seen this thread! I struggle enough with my playing in general than to have worry about another facet! ~X(
    wim
  • Buco wrote: »
    Courtesy of @bopster Paul I got to try the Dunlop primetone round pick
    http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/primetone-semiround-print
    It's actually in the same family of tone as Blue Chip SR60 and I liked it. That could be a good pick to try inexpensively to see if you might like the pricey SR60 but it is a good pick on it's own. I suspected for a while that the tone I'm getting from SR60 is at least half due to the shape of the tip. I guess that's what you guys are finding with the side tip of Gators.
    These sound pretty close to the Blue Chip.