DjangoBooks.com

Sideways

Comments

• I just tried using the rounded side of a blue chip 2mm large jazz pick on my DuPont. It took a little edge off the chords and the sound is a bit rounder, fuller. I'm liking it for chords on the Dupont.

Thanks to @Matt Henry for starting this thread and the others who have responded which prompted me to try a different approach.
    MattHenry
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    I just tried this again at a gig last night hoping to spend less on picks and not have to deal with the breakin period of a new Wegen when the picking edge is too pointy. Sounded ok, but I shredded the picking surface after 2 songs. Sadly Wegens seem to be the only pick I've found capable of surviving regular strong attacks, even among the thicker boutique picks.
  • My Blue Chip is 3 years now average an hour a day, and it barely shows any wear on the pointy end

I think the sides of the blue chip will be working long after I'm not.

I am really loving the sound.
    renzok
    See the picture.
    Fat. Dark. No click. Doesn't wear.
    Just don't lose it.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 3,707
    Perfect. Wish they had them when I bought mine.

Did you try any of the thinner ones Buco?
    I didn't.
    But in our world this one is already considered pretty thin at 1.5mm.
    I tried thicker though and though I like the feel of it better, there's touch of pick noise as the size goes up.
    They're still way quieter then most other picks on the market.

To join the original topic, I do have a dozen Gators in the drawer and some of Gonzalo's signature picks. They're good, those guys obviously don't lack in tone, but I still prefer the tone I get with the one I mentioned in the above post by a good margin.
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    I had Matthew make me an SR 80 after trying Buco's SR60- nice sound, doesn't wear out. It makes you work out your technique - relaxed hand, wrist position.
    There you go, you tell'm Paul.
  • BarkonatorBarkonator Medina, OH✭✭ Mazaud - Vieux Paris
    +1 for Blue Chip Picks. I am still pretty new to this style, but I have the TD100 and I like it a lot.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    OUCH $35! Yeah, better not lose that one. Buco, do you play with it sideways or use the 'tip'?

Thanks