DjangoBooks.com

chromatic runs

blindjimmyblindjimmy phoenix,az✭✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 119
hi,
i'd like to ask you all about any general rules for chromatic runs, long and short ones, for example , from the x of one chord to the x of another,
those long sliding ones, down and back up dorado throws into dinah on the bireli dvd, anything you would like to share would be appreciated. thanks
shut up and play your guitar

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    well some (most ) are measured ie starting on a specific beat / chord on a specific rhythm value and ending on a specific beat/chord.... try ascending in 8th notes on the 2nd beat a tritone below the target chord

so if your target chord was C , you start on F# of the second beat from the measure before the C chord.... that 's a typical thing to do

or u can precede any chord by a minor 3rd below ascending chromatically in triplets... so if target chord was E7, you start on a C#7 (beat 4 of previous measure)....

is that what you're asking? otherwise there are unmeasured chromatic runs, where you just go by feel and hope you end up somewhere right!
  • blindjimmyblindjimmy phoenix,az✭✭✭✭
    thanks dennis, thats exactly the type of thing i was looking for. i just tried it and its perfect. i've mostly been using 16th notes, starting on the root note on the second beat and sliding up or down an octave, then adding a few more notes to wind up on the next chord tone of the moment. i really like the way these guys start and finish their phrases somewhere other than the first beat. i noticed singers and horn players doing that years ago, and made a point of working it into my playing, back in my judas preist / black sabbath days. thanks again
    shut up and play your guitar