DjangoBooks.com

Chord charts

AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 541
I am confused by the way the frets are marked in the chord charts - the numbers are placed between frets instead of next to a fret. For example, the Am/C is marked as 7th fret, but the 7 is between two frets. I will attempt to attach a photo.

Comments

• tophtoph ✭✭
    The 7 is placed next to the the area of the fingerboard (in between fret wire) where you would place your finger. Same Idea as the placement of the black dots. In the case of this Am/C you would put your second finger on the 6th string 8th fret, your first finger on the 4th string 7th fret, and your fourth finger on the 3rd string 9th fret.
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    I assume that since the chord has a C in the bass, the 6th string must be fretted at the 7th fret, but with some of the unfamiliar chords, the context is not as clear.
    wim
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited March 2023 Posts: 1,449
    The root bass note of this chord is the 8th fret on the low E string. It's like [8x79xx]
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    This is a common way of displaying a chord chart. To determine the fret, look at the horizontal line below the dot. In the image you posted, you'd put your fingers on these frets: 8X79XX (from low E to high E).
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Oops! I meant 8th fret. Duh.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 3,707
    The chord Am/C would indicate that C is the root. That would call for the 6 string to be fretted the 9th fret (finger between 8 and 9 to give a C in the bass). Chord charts appear to not be standardized in presentation yet but I find quite often (but not always) the numbered fret is the first fret in the diagram.

One very valuable tool is to know all the notes on the guitar. S4F11=C#. etc etc. ......makes chords a breeze
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    just to be a theory nerd, in the theoretical system that i'm familiar with C is not the root but the BASS note.. the root remains A if it's an Am chord.

That said, with regards to the original poster, i'm confused by what you wrote, i don't understand what you mean when u say the 7 is between two frets.. Of course it is!! any fret except 1 (and whichever highest fret) is between 2 frets!

The number on top of the diagram indicates recommended left hand fingering (1= index, 4=pinky, T=thumb). The number on the right indicates lowest fret displayed, so if there are no numbers on the right, u are to assume that the first row is the 1st fret... if there 's a 7 on the right, then the first row is the 7th fret.

each vertical line represents a string, the leftmost line is the low E string.

Thus, there's a dot on the leftmost string on the 2nd row. Since the first row is the 7th fret, that means we have to put the second finger (the friendly finger) on the 8th fret... so on and so forth.

I'm really curious as to how you originally perceived this though!!! I reread it so many times and still don't follow!

"the numbers are placed between frets instead of next to a fret"

huh??!

"For example, the Am/C is marked as 7th fret, but the 7 is between two frets"

huuuhh?!
    jonpowl
    :laugh:
    And I thought I was the only one that was confused
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Am/C would as I understand it would be the notes of the Am triad A C E with the C played as the bass note...the root note of the chord A will always be the root note. Where ever it is.

The notes shown in the chord chart above, usingDennis's correct interpretation of most chord charts are C A E
  • Well...I have oft heard women say size matters.....perhaps this thread is a variant of that concept.