DjangoBooks.com

Ten Essential Gypsy Jazz Tunes

Micheal IrwinMicheal Irwin ✭✭
in Welcome Posts: 49
Hi guys, New here, but playing jazz a long time. First Gypsy guitar (Altamira) arrived last week. Going to Samois sur Seine next year...what would you consider ten essential tunes besides some of the obvious, (minor swing, lady be good, sweet georgia brown) maybe some others that are as popular at a jam but not as beat to death. Thanks, Mike

Comments

• edited October 2014 Posts: 3,707
    It seems to vary from area to area....at least that is my memory of things....been at home for a few years so. Blue Drag, Limehouse, Swing 42 and ....and...wait for it....Bossa Dorado.......are among the popular tunes here.

Welcome to the forum
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Beat to death, perhaps, but All of Me, I Can't Give You Anything but Love, & Coquette are fun to play. Two I have been playing a lot lately, Vamp and Diminushing, both written by Django, I believe.
  • Micheal IrwinMicheal Irwin ✭✭
    Hey, thanks a lot guys. Those should keep me busy for awhile. One more question, is there such a thing as a gypsy guitar fakebook with tunes like the Real Book? Thanks again.
  • Micheal IrwinMicheal Irwin ✭✭
    Wow! Thanks Stuart. Someone did a lot of work putting that together. Much appreciated.
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    How about "When Day is Done" ?
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Also, to Michael Irwin above, Robin Nolan's Gig Book is excellent. It may be out of print, but I have seen scans of it online.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Keep in mind that tunes come and go, with fad and fashion. I've been to DIJ 2013, 2014, Samois 2013, 2014, and Grappelli camp 2014 so I'm thinking about what's in fashion recently.. and I go to various Paris jams regularly, which is for the most part the same kinda material you will hear at Samoreau

coquette
    django's tiger
    there will never be another you
    dream of you
    swing 48
    i can't give you anything but love
    after you're gone
    what is this thing called love
    i'll see you in my dreams
    belleville