DjangoBooks.com

Difficulty stretching for certain chords

KJTKJT West Bromwich, UKNew
in Technique Posts: 4
Hello

Can I just say first, I havent used forums often and I hope its ok starting this discussion, I apologise in advance if the topic has already been discussed (I have searched) and also for my spelling :).

I am new to this style of playing, my previous experience was more of open chords or a few simple barre chords but I heard this style live for the first time in July 14 ( Remi Harris) and I became sort of addicted :).

I am tinkering with Minor Swing & Blues en Mineur all great fun but I looked at All of me recently and the last few barres I play the F, Fm, E and the F and the E are (for want of a better word) killing me. For the F, I play 5x356x and E 4x245x. I have sat and practiced this stretch for about 4 weeks, and I am very hit and miss. Any advice please, do I just keeping going at it ( I think it sounds nice, when I get it right or am I going about it wrong. I was thinking of leaving it for a bit and work something else I think I was advised Dark Eyes is ok for beginner?

Thank you for listening
Kev

Comments

• PetrovPetrov ✭✭
    It was the same for me at first. On top of that I have small hands. Just keep at it and it will come eventually.

What i did was fret the chord, take my hands off, fret chord again and on...until it becomes second nature like a open E for example.

Now using my thumb for chords is a different story....
  • KJTKJT West Bromwich, UKNew
    Thank you Petrov and Stuart

Just sat down with guitar for few minutes and looking at how I was doing things (think I got my Fm6 wrong too :( haha). Will stick at All of me, what you said made good sense to me :)

Will also try the fretting then removing hands and refretting, bit of a hand excercise :).

Thank you very much, I am enjoying the gyspy jazz experience very much.

It takes time. For me it was over a year, at least, to feel really comfortable with jazz chords after making a switch from playing rock guitar for years to jazz and gypsy jazz subsequently.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    If you remember the first time you made a F chord it's all the same gotta get it into your hands you've done it before and it will get easier.
    good luck and enjoy
    pick on

pickitjohn :peace:
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    That chord you are stretching for is essential for the genre so don't give up.
  • KJTKJT West Bromwich, UKNew
    Thank you, the advice and encouragement has made me more determined and made me realise I just have to stick at it, be patience and enjoy the ride :)
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited October 2014 Posts: 1,457
    try this finger buster [246200]

it's an F#m11, after this your chord will seem easy :D

olivier kikteff was showing us that voicing at django in june ... ouch!
    pickitjohn
  • You may find more success with picking the first two chords of one tune and very very slowly moving between the two shapes making sure your fingers have plenty of time to get the right motion from the beginning. Once you can do that shift in a completely relaxed slow way try it at speed. If you make a mistake, go back to slow a few more times then try it again at speed. Keep at that process til you get those two down. Then move on to the shift between chords 2 and 3 and repeat the process. Try playing all 3 slowly at first then if that is clean at speed. If that is clean move on to chords 3 and 4 etc tec tec til you have one piece down. Then learn a second piece. It may seem hard to do and a little slower at first but studies have shown that it is the fastest way to learn.

With many thanks to Buco's friend Jon for " the practice of practice". I have been playing this style for quite a few years and learning this technique last month really speeded up learning any unfamiliar moves for me.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited October 2014 Posts: 3,319
    The last few bars of All of Me are:

F, Fm, C, A7, Dm7, G7, C I think. No E or Em.

But anyway back to the original question of how to play E with the 3rd in the bass, play 4x24xx which is easier if you want. The 5th fret on the second string is just an E which you are already playing on the 4th string (plus the bass is also covering it). So many roots are not necessary. If you want to play more notes you could add the 3rd fret on the second string (for a 6th chord) or the 4th fret on the second string (for a dominant chord) etc.

Yes, that shape can also be thought of as a C#m7 with the 5th in the bass and no root but again, the bass player is covering the roots.

As someone else said, that shape is a bit of a stretch but essential. I use index finger on the 4th string and usually second finger on the 6th string and third finger on the 3rd string. You can also use the 3rd and 4th fingers instead of the 2nd and 3rd if that is easier and depending on the preceding and following chord changes.

Don't overdo it at first if your hand/arm gets sore.

I hope that helps.
  • Hmmm4x24 ,,,that gives G#,x,E, B

Or you can play 4,2,,2 which gives G# B, E, in a little closer voiced or add the upper B, doubling the 5th as Bones suggests which gives a more sonorous voicing with the doubled fifth.

The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed