DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (1)

• Guidem 2:08PM

Today's Birthdays

Mischa gypsymyk jensmolander RussellBib

Django, Baro, and Gangsters

Comments

• Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    Thats the breakfast room^^. The mantlepiece is now a walk through for the rest of the tables . The Fromentin still has its charm in tact . It was chosen because it was known by my boss who knows Paris well and understands its musical and cultural history. Oh and the prices are reasonable and the staff are discrete .
    scot wrote: »
    I have a fascinating recording from a session at "La Lanterne" later in time, but it's too big to post here. Suggestions on how to post it where all can hear?

Get the soundcloud account and upload it there and post a link here. There's a way to embed it on this forum just like YouTube videos but I'm not sure exactly how. Their free account will get you 3 hours worth of uploads and I believe a single file upload can be up to 5GB.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @Scot

I am so glad you shared that it was like watching a Movie.
    I do hope there is more. Who is Jean-Marie, any recordings?
    He found it quite amazing that I was able, just from listening to an old disc, to “see” how they had played in the old days. I tried to explain to him that it really was not that big of a job, that any modern professional guitarist worthy of the title would find this in every way an ordinary skill. But he simply couldn’t understand how I’d done it. He was totally overwhelmed by the whole business.

Got me wondering. Thanks for sharing.

pick on

pickitjohn :peace:
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Here is how it looked then (see attached photo) and now (see the clip of the Hotel site) but beware, it will give you Paris nostalgy : http://www.hotelroyalfromentin.com/fr/hotel/#

Madeleine Gauthier said it was a very chic club when the Quintette played there. No doubt the knife fights added a little excitement to the sophistication.

Al Watsky
  • ezriteezrite Hollywood
    "He had ... the inbred cunning of a gypsy." You sure this is really what you wanted to say?"
    Y'a bon,
    J
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    Yes that is where Madeleine Gauthier says Django and Joseph pulled knives on each other and someone had to go to find their mother as she was the only one who could separate them.

Teddy,

You referred several times to Madeleine Gautier (secretary of the Hot Club de France). Did she write a book or is it from an interview?

Best

François
    Teddy,

You referred several times to Madeleine Gautier (secretary of the Hot Club de France). Did she write a book or is it from an interview?

Best

François

Sadly I only have a brief quote from her about that particular incident. She does say the band "was crammed into the chimney" so perhaps that's why they were getting irritated with each other. However, Gérard Lévêque says that at gigs, Django and Joseph often "got on each other's nerves." If Django broke a string, he would put down his guitar, take Joseph's and continue playing. Joseph would then have to change the string. Lévêque felt that Joseph was jealous of Django.
    ezrite wrote: »
    "He had ... the inbred cunning of a gypsy." You sure this is really what you wanted to say?"

"inbred" in the sense of "naturally inherent, innate" not in the sense of "closely related". A good definition of what I meant is - "What is inbred has often been ingrained through earliest training or associations".

A quote from Charles Delaunay that may indicate Django's attitude to gangsters (and anyone else for that matter). "Django was interested in nobody................I think Django took musicians seriously - the rest I'm not sure about. Musicians he had respect for."
  • Ted GottsegenTed Gottsegen Rowayton, CTModerator
    Hi Ted,

When did you visit the place? Are you speaking of the shop on the left or on the right of the door with n°19?
    What you have seen seems to indicate that the place had been turned into a 'telephone by Internet' shop a kind of business which flourished a while ago but that almost disappeared as anyone can do it at home now with a webcam in addition.

Best

François

Hi François!

I was there this past June. I actually have a different address on that same street for La Lanterne. I got it from a member of the Ferret family who grew up in that neighborhood. I was told it was either 15 or 17 Rue Descombes. When I at this photo the door to the right of 17, it has the door on the left, right next to the door for the apartments in that building. The door location in the photo corresponds with the image in the photo. But that doesn't really mean anything since any type of remodeling project could've changed the appearance. I'd suspect that you're info is more correct than mine simply because the other two addresses you have are correct. I was also told by this person that Baro lived a few streets away on the Rue Guersanlt.

Since we're talking about all of this, here's some tantalizing and fun info that I did between traveling and gigs.

I did a macabre cemetery tour while in Paris. I had a list of people whose tombs I wanted to locate: Baro, Matelo, Sarane, Montagne and others. Walking through a cemetery, on a dark, rainy, thundering afternoon brings a very interesting mood, to say the least. Here's a photo of Montagne's tomb. I was told that Baro was buried in the same cemetery. When I spoke to the people at records office, I tried every permutation of Baro's name: Jean Ferret, Pierre Ferret, Baro Ferret and Jean Ferre, Pierre Ferre, Baro Ferre There was nothing listed but was given the location of another 'Jean Ferre' who was a female I took it. When I looked at the photo on the tombstone next to it, there was a picture of a man who looked to me like Baro (see third photo). The name attached to this person is Souzor Ferre. I see a resemblance but not enough for me to think that it's Baro's tomb under a different name. What do you guys think??The cemetery where Matelo, Maurice, Joseph Pouville and others doesn't have Baro listed under any name. The mystery of Baro continues!

Next trip I'll head way out to some other cemeteries where people like Piton Reinhardt, Eugene Vees and others are supposed to be interred.

Montagne has always been my favorite for so many reasons and I've spent years tracking down information on him. I found his grand nephew (Jacques' brother is this guys grandfather) on the internet who told me that his line of the family isn't really in contact with the other but said they can normally be found in Montmartre. My friend told me that he bought a business on the Rue Marcodet for his wife so that she had steady income coming it. I've found that place but there was no one there to talk with.

After years of searching I'm finally close to getting in contact with Montagne's son Canone. I was told that Montagne married one of Bella Meyer's younger sisters (which would make Montagne & Lousson brothers-in-law). Through the Meyer line I've got a close friend who knows Canone and where he is I actually had his pinned down through my own research but he moved after Jacques' death. Hopefully next time I go back to France (after the new year?) I'll be able to meet him. I tried while I was over there this summer, but there were several reasons why I couldn't make it happen then.

I've learned quite a bit about Jacques and am working very hard to get a solid view of who this very complex man was - because he was complex and very, very interesting. I'm planning on creating a bio/musical analysis of Jacques in a .pdf with transcriptions of his tunes (mostly from the EP, but some of the live material as well).

Sorry this is so long, and that it took me so long to get back to you!

All the best,

Ted
    MichaelHorowitzBucoNoneJazzaferri