DjangoBooks.com

Django, Baro, and Gangsters

Comments

• scotscot Virtuoso
    I suppose it's possible the bar could have been opened in 1943, but not probable. In the uncropped photo, there is an Epiphone Electar Century amp sitting on a table (not the same one Django was photographed with, though). This amp was sold in the USA starting in 1939; I'd say it's pretty unlikely that such an amp would have been in a Paris bar in 1943. We know from other sources that Epiphone was very interested in marketing in France after the war. 1945 is the more likely date.

Very interesting speculation about Django's mien in these photographs. I am rereading Yoors this weekend, I remember the part of the books that Francois refers to but couldn't find it by just scanning.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    scot wrote: »
    I suppose it's possible the bar could have been opened in 1943, but not probable.
    The person who gave me that information has said they were mistaken so I think we should feel confident about 1945.

• Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    in the photo below, he is clearly imposing himself on Louis to the extent he is irritating him.

I know there is another photo taken at the same time with Louis looking a little happier. As with the bar photo, it could be a misunderstanding. Personally, I think that Django looks calm and at peace in the bar photo, his posture is a little awkward but it could be because of the surrounding guitarists. In most photographs of Django, he's either posing for the camera or involved in some way, socializing or playing the guitar. Here he was caught off-guard, and not involved in any conversation. It's unusual, and that might be the reason we react to it. He almost looks shy and socially awkward, and that can't be right unless there is some reason for him to feel anxious.
  • It looks more to me that Pops is in the midst of dealing with his handkerchief and playing at the same time. Given the history of aggressive cutting matches in Pops early life, I doubt very much that Django standing there would phase him at all.....unless Django had just pulled his arm or some similar mischief.....which I suppose is possible but considering the respect he had for Pops, unlikely.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    It's said that Django's cigarette smoke was annoying Armstrong and he is trying to waft it away with his handkerchief. But the point I was making is that Django was quite prepared to "invade the space" of someone he greatly admired and respected. No shrinking violet here unlike the bar photos.
    Here is the other Armstrong photo Svanis mentions. Despite Armstrong apparently performing, Django is very much "in your face" at the centre of the action.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Are there any recordings of Django and Louis Armstrong together?

My internet searches have come up blank.

Thanks

pick on

pickitjohn :peace:
    pickitjohn wrote: »
    Are there any recordings of Django and Louis Armstrong together?
    Sadly not although they apparently jammed together at least a couple of times. The first meeting with Louis was a disaster for Django and after playing for him, Django left "utterly dejected" and "mortified" to quote Delaunay.

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @Teddy Dupont
    Sadly not although they apparently jammed together at least a couple of times. The first meeting with Louis was a disaster for Django and after playing for him, Django left "utterly dejected" and "mortified" to quote Delaunay.

I've always thought they would of been Great Together.
    Maybe an EGO thing...

Oh well, I Love em both.

pick on

pickitjohn

:peace:
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014 Posts: 459
    Louis later mentioned in a recorded interview that Django knocked him out. "Oooh boy, that cat sure could play." You can hear this in the Trois Doigts de Genie documentary. Look here:

If the time thing didn't work, it's at 14:18.

As for the handkerchief, I think Armstrong is just focused, trying to unfold the handkerchief after taking it out of his pocket. That's why he is waving it. Obviously to wipe the sweat off his face, he always did this.