DjangoBooks.com

Buzz from moustache

Recently my guitar developed a subtle buzz - not like typical fret buzz or rattling hw, but almost like a slight distortion when I play middle 4 strings above the 8th fret. At first I couldn't link it to any obvious source like the end piece or the bridge. Then I noticed an ever so slight play at the tip of the lower moustache when touched, perhaps a 2-3mm section.

So I experimented pushing down the moustache piece in different spots. Only when I apply slight pressure in the middle of the piece it removes the buzz (=> the loose tip itself isn't the problem, but probably an indication of neighboring glue badness)

What does a DIYer do at this point? Order glue from stewmac, heat up and remove the piece, sand, align and glue? Or wise up and go to a real luthier?

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    How nice and/or expensive is the instrument? If it is high end and you are not experienced you might want to take it in since it probably won't cost much if you have a good luthier in your area.
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    You don't need to special order glue.
    Your hardware store has everything you need.
    Unless your in some remote area you should take the instrument to a professional instrument repair service and make sure that you are correct in your assumption that the bridge tips are causing your problem.
    Its not necessary to remove and replace the bridge tips as a rule . They can be glued in place using carpenters glue and a bit of pressure, I have some small padded dead weights that I use .
    The bottom line is , its a simple repair. Bring it to a professional. Get it done right , pick it up and play music.

Jazzaferri
  • What Al say
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed