DjangoBooks.com

what's your preferite gj solo?

Hi guys!
Is there any gj song or solo that you will never tire of it?
I just love rose room, by django.
Write it down!

Comments

• lostjohnlostjohn Charleston, WV✭✭ Altamira M01
    I'll See You In My Dreams, by Django. One long, absolutely awesome solo. However, my all time favorite GJ song, overall, is Minor Swing, 1937 version. It embodies everything that I love about Gypsy Jazz.
  • No fave...love a lot of em
    jazzygtr
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • SpaloSpalo England✭✭✭✭ Manouche Guitars "Modele Jazz Moreno" No.116, 1980's Saga Blueridge "Macaferri 500", Maton 1960's Semi, Fender Telecaster, Aria FA65 Archtop
    Melodie au Crepuscle aka Love's Melody, London 1946. Technique and Ideas blended into a beautiful musical statement. Magic Django! Mmmmmm!

Sp
    AmundLauritzen
  • AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    I like classic old style Django played in the Dutch style. Medium swing is good! Lot's of use of IV-minor. Lot's of secondary dominants. Christophe cadence is a plus. Heavy on the downstrokes. Aggressive, but elegant like you hear in the dutch players. That's what gets me going!

Here's one example:

The only way I can describe this is "aggressive elegance". I know it's practically an oxymoron, but I guess it's the charm of the phrasing, articulation and vocabulary coupled with the heavy downstroke picking(of course executed in a totally relaxed way). I know exactly what I like, but can't put it into words very well :P

I think Stochelos playing on "Yours and Mine" sums up everything I love about Gypsy jazz. Though I've listened to that particular version so much now that it doesn't have the same effect any more. They need to make another classic Django album in that style!
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    When day is done; Django's tiger; Honeysuckle Rose (earlier version);
  • jazzygtrjazzygtr Stillwater, MN✭✭ Gibson J-35
    edited September 2014 Posts: 80
    I only wish I had written or improvised Django's "I'll See You In My Dreams". Just perfect in my book.
  • renzokrenzok Perú✭✭ Geronimo Mateos Audrey
    now would be a little love a little kiss, in a sentimental mood and Mistery Pacific
    pickitjohn
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    always fun threads... in my case, it tends to change a lot... these days, probably django´s 2nd take of 12th year (1939).