DjangoBooks.com

dg270 or dg250m

Hello guys. I just wanted to know wich one of these two guitars you would recommend me.
It's easier for me to find the dg270, while for the dg250m i would use amazon.
I'd like to know what are the differences in sound, but also in woods.
One of these two guitar it's going to be my first GJ guitar. Please give me your opinions. Thank you ;)

Comments

• JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL
    Where are you located? I had a DG-250, but recently purchased the Altamira M01, which while not much more expensive than the Gitane, is a much nicer playing and sounding guitar. I bought the Altamira from Michael here at Djangobooks, and it was a great experience. Give us a little info, budget, location, and the folks here will steer you in the right direction. Welcome to the forum!
  • If you are sticking to these models, I would suggest spending a few extra bucks to get the guitar set up. I would also strongly suggest buying from Michael.
  • Jsanta : I live in rome, in italy. What can you tell me about the altamira? Thank you!!

Jim: is the set up necessary? Because i have no idea of who could do it for me..
    One more thing.. who's michael?

Stuart: thank you for your review.. do you think i could buy a better guitar with the same budget?
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    I would recommend the DG250M over the Altamira but I had a bad experience with mine.
    I have both the DG250 and DG250M I got them both used I did some minor adjustments and love them both. The DG250 has the most authentic gypsy jazz sound out of all the manouche guitars I got.
  • I'd like to have a good gipsy sound.. good volume and a good sound!
    I don't usually spend 400€ on guitars, because usually those aren't very good ones..
    I would spend 700€-1000€.. but no more.. the dupont is just a dream..
  • As stuart pointed out, the lower end guitars can vary dramatically and thus may have some flaws. A good setup, like what is offered here through Michael, can get the guitar sounding as good as it can. If I had to start over again, I would likely start with a Cigano until I was confident that I was going to stick with the style.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    edited August 2014 Posts: 921
    I play and love a DG250m but think I was lucky and found a really exceptional one. The Altamiras are good guitars as well but I started with a Cigano and they are very good value for the money. Others to consider in Europe are Gallatos - they have a good beginners model and they come in about 350 - 400 Euros. One of the best to get would be a used Dupont Nomade - brilliant sound and fantastic value for the money.
    Also meant to say that I prefer my DG250m to my Dupont Busato - heresey I know but that's the truth.
    always learning
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    edited August 2014 Posts: 705
    Starting in Gypsy Jazz a little over a year ago, I was concerned about buying a relatively inexpensive Chinese guitar as I have always bought Fender, Gibson and Martin previously. I was lucky and found a nice used Gitane DG-255 in great condition with a very nice neck. I've played a few Ciganos and they are all over the place in terms of quality, a couple of brand new ones appeared to have warped or twisted necks. The few Gitanes that I have played seemed to be of better quality, perhaps because they use better wood. Buying a guitar that needs a setup right out of the box just doesn't seem right. If I lived in Europe, I would check out http://www.castelluccia.fr/home.php in Paris and http://geronimomateos.com/ in Spain. Castelluccias' model G starts at 1300E and the Tears (maple sides and back), and Menilmontant start at 1700E. Mateos' Jazz B starts at 1500E.
  • Obviously, if you can play these guitars before you buy them, that would be the best choice.