DjangoBooks.com

Purely a rhythm player

Comments

• MaximusVolumusMaximusVolumus ✭✭ Holo

And the other stating how you SHOULDN'T interact (1:50 into the video):

I feel that Gonzalo's not saying "don't interact." I feel that he's saying keep it simple and grooving.

Towards the end of the video, he starts mentioning how great a small and simple fill is when it fits (rather than interferes) with what the soloist is doing.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 3,707
    Couple of observations.

First off, in a jam, one has to keep it basic, as one does the first times one plays with someone new. As the combo grows, the potential for using different voicings to get a nice line running through the harmony grows as does the opportunity to have a lLITTLE rhythmic creativity. It's very very important when doing this to NOT step on the soloist.

Newcomers to the genre may not realize that the rhythm guitar is really filling two roles in the rhythm section. I wonder if a lot of jazz guitarists don't get that coming in.

I am saddened to hear that guys like SW and GB are saying keep it basic. To me that says they wouldn't want to play with the guy that started it all. It seems that its kinda like the bluegrass scene that ended up with bluegrass and NewGrass for those who tired of playing it he same old way. Tchaikovsky gets it. His rhythm demo is great IMO.

Oh Well.

Not sure why the prejudice against music grads. Either someone is into this genre or not. If they are not, why hire them.

The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    edited August 2014 Posts: 2,161
    ultimately , it is up to the leader if the group to decide what is best. if u dont like how. a leader likes it, As a rhythm player, it s up to u to decide whther u want to work with x musician or not. which is why i said nous che might be a fit for stochelo but not for bireli, and likewise hono might be a fit for bireli but not stochelo... the musical and personal che istry is very important too!,

indeed, certain players really dont care what the rhythm player does as long as it s steady... when i played rhythm for stephane on a few occasions, he just told me to hit the strings as violently as possible hahaha

with gonzalo, he wanted a heavy 2 and 4, on certains songs he wanted a marching feel, etc

stochelo wanted triads on traditional waltzes

joscho didnt seem to care

yorgui wanted a heavy-ish rhythm but not as violent as stephane

lollo wanted certain voicings on certain chords

wawau wanted me to follow his dynamics, and to play straight downstrokes with a heavy feel yet to remain soft in volume

etc. etc.. they all want different things, and i love it when people give me feedback because i learn something new and it gets me thinking... i could write a whole lot more about my experiences with each player ! there s a lot of intersting things that i learned from many pf them

btw i ve also got to work with nous che, he says i should use only wrist and never arm which i dont agree with... i respect his opinion of course, but i think one shouldnt be too dogmatic about the mechanics of rhythm playing, everything depends on context. for sure, on fast songs, it should be wrist, but on slower and heavier songs, i feel the arm helps give it a bit more drive.. and on slower bossas the arm helps keep the beat steady and straight... my two cents anyway
    JonJSanta
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Denis, your two cents is always worth a fortune, at least to me. I agree, you play the way the leader wants you to play. Now if I could only do that as well as you do...

Jay, I think you are mistaking Django's rhythm approach with what he had HIS rhythm guys playing, which was actually pretty damned simple. If the rhythm bitch is keeping a nice, uncluttered, steady drive, the lead player can play lots of adventuresome fills and fancier stuff a la Django. Note that Django had some monster rhythm players behind him, but the fancy moves were reserved for Django, and Django alone. If everyone is making ninja moves, they are all going to be tripping over each other, and the song is going to have a higher chance of losing it's way. Anyway, it shouldn't make you sad. They are just giving advice about the best way for rhythm players to fit in with a group that has a lead player.

I think it's very different if it's just two guitars jamming. Then maybe the rhythm player adds some fancier things to propel the song forward and to interact with the lead player. But when there are multiple guitars going, keep it simple, if you are the rhythm bitch.

JonMaximusVolumus
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Michael, maybe Django told them how to play ...wouldn't surprise me but with two rhythm guitars along with Django there would be little room to do anything but play it straight up IMO in any case. The rhythm Django did that I love most is when he is the only guitar.

I am not sure I am communicating well. Rule number 1 is listen, rule number 2 is don't step on the soloist. If soloist is wailing away with notes chord shots and all, there is not much room to do anything other than keep time unless one knows the other really well and a really high level musical conversation is taking place. Those are quite rare in my experience, even with seasoned pros. And if someone is really busy, less is more,

You are either up late or up early amigo. Incidentally, got a bottle of Talisker Storm from my son last Friday (65 now officially over the hill). Fabulous.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I think where most people trip up is in forgetting Django never played rhythm behind another guitarist... he was always the lead guitar even when comping behind the violín or clarinet.
    Comping for a violinist is a very different game than backing a fellow guitar player...

When two guitars or more play together the one playing the solo is the 1st guitar (Django's role) and the rest should fall into the 2nd, 3rd, etc... Which in my opinion should be a very simple, swinging rhythm like Django's accompanists played.
    When playing rhythm I wouldn't recommend you try to play like Django, instead try to emulate the way the other guitars backed him.

I personally hate it when someone starts doing tremolos or keeps doing little rhythm effects behind me when it's my turn to solo...
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    The HCQ rhythm guitarists did not always play exactly the same rhythm behind Django though and there were the occasional "effects" and bass runs.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Harry, that's what I was trying to say, although perhaps I wasn't as clear as you are. Teddy, agreed, but for the most part, they kept it pretty basic. And, Jay, pop on over with that Talisker any time...
    BluesBop Harry
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 3,707
    Next DIJ ??

In my heart I beleive that Django would have loved to play guitar WITH another guitar player of the similar caliber. Charlie Christian? I doubt Django would have played guitar BEHIND anyone once he had made it into the limelight
    Next D in J it is…

Pity Django and Charlie never got to meet and play together. That would have been a jam for the ages!