DjangoBooks.com

Short scale guitar with Favino size body, is it possible?

Since I got my Eimers Antique, I've discovered how much more ergonomic it is for me to play a guitar with that kind of fretboard. I used to play a Favino copy, and the fretboard was undoubtedly wider and the distance between frets was longer. Since I have small hands, this complicated things for me. As I started playing my Eimers, my technique improved very rapidly.

But I still love the sound of a big bodied Favino. So this question is for the guitar builders, or others with that kind of expertise: Is it possible to build a guitar that has the Favino sized body, but with the ergonomic fretboard of a Selmer copy? The Eimers Antique is a Selmer replica, which leads me to believe that the fretboard dimensions is standard for those guitars. The difference is night and day for me, and if I can have the playability of a Selmer copy and the sound of a Favino, that would be amazing.

KlausUS

Comments

• flacoflaco Shelley Park #151, AJL Quiet and Portable
    I'm no expert but check out the Collins Texas Gypsy guitar that Michael has for sale. It's a D hole, though.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    @AmundLauritzen I think what you're looking for is this:

http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/dupont-md-50-favino

A Favino sized body with a 670mm scale. I have one just like it coming in about a month! Keep an eye on the site.

It should also be mentioned that Maurice Dupont did his apprenticeship with Jacques Favino and uses the original Favino molds to build these copies. Very cool!
  • If you like short scales check out Benito's Patenotte
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @AmundLauritzen
    Since I got my Elmers Antique, I've discovered how much more ergonomic it is for me to play a guitar with that kind of fretboard. I used to play a Favino copy, and the fretboard was undoubtedly wider and the distance between frets was longer. Since I have small hands, this complicated things for me. As I started playing my Elmers, my technique improved very rapidly

Do you know the specs on your Elmer's Antique and what Favino copy were you playing?

From Elmer's web page…

http://eimersguitars.com/shop/model-antique-oval-hole/

> Scale length
    67 cm
    > Width at the nut
    43 mm *
    > Width at the body
    55 mm
    > Frets clear

The dimensions are classic Favino: 16 3/4" wide, 4" deep. 670mm scale

:peace:
  • AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    I was playing a Dell Arte Jimmy Rosenberg model. There is a significant difference in the fretboard dimensions.

Eimers have said the Antique is a Selmer replica. I always thought the Favino type guitars had a longer scale length and different fretboard due to the increased body size(?).

My Eimers cutaway ends at the 17th fret whereas the Dell Arte ends at 21 I think, so there is a clear difference.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Jacques Favino used 675mm scale a lot... Your Dell Arte probably had that and that's why you find the regular Selmer scale (670) so comfortable. The Dupont Michael suggested should be exactly what you're looking for
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    My Favino is 666mm - Jean Pierre's scale, I've been told - very easy to play.