DjangoBooks.com

New to violin

2»

Comments

• PerltonePerltone ✭✭✭
    Just another second to Al's comments. I got good enough after 10 years to play with a local bluegrass band. I had some physical issues as Al mentioned. A chiropractor who works with musicians called the violin, "an
    ergonomic disaster."
    For me, the instrument was always a battle. I felt better after I read
    Darol Anger's response to what he does when he first picks up the fiddle each day. He said, "That's easy. I try to find where the notes are because they never seem to be where I left them the night before."
    If you can focus on and enjoy the "journey" as opposed to worrying
    about the destination, each instrument offers rewards. Good luck.
    pickitjohn
  • flacoflaco Shelley Park #151, AJL Quiet and Portable
    Wow, thanks for the quick responses! I agree it's necessary to have realistic expectations. Adults learn more slowly and don't have as much free time, so it's a double whammy. This is actually the reason I waited this long before starting. I've wanted to play violin for much of my adult life but felt like I'd never be able to play it since I didn't start young. I'm already a decent guitar player so it's been easier to just stick to that.
  • MacKeaganMacKeagan
    Al's right, us late-starters don't often get up to a real high-level proficiency, but we have fun trying. I'm in about my third year of striving for the Grappelli sound, and I'm having fun with it. To me it's way more challenging and satisfying to play compared with Old-Timey, and I'm even slipping on my Irish music practice--though I gotta say, the GJ work has improved my Irish playing a lot. I've played "out" with bands about 3-4 times in the last year, and those guys seemed fairly happy with what I do. I usually play the head once through with a few grace-notes, then go off from there, lay out while the guitar or sax takes it, and come back with a modified version of the head.
  • MandobartMandobart ✭✭ Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, Mandocello, Fiddles
    I don't have much to add to the great advice; just encouragement to keep at it. I am a classically trained violinist who also got into many other instruments. I learned the basics of improv in jazz band in school, but I'm still learning. Of all the instruments I play, I think there is more fiction, folklore and fantasy surrounding the fiddle than any other. There is a skill set you must develop that includes some skills you already have (left hand fingering) and some you may not (bowing). We are all born with different levels of natural ability, but everyone can learn and improve on what they have. It takes focus, study, and hours (not years, there is a difference) of practice. Personally I'm most interested in playing better backup; everyone learns the leads and melody; many fiddlers just drop out when they don't have the lead. I'm working on rhythms, chords, harmonies, etc.
  • hanear21hanear21
    Great advice guys, thanks! Luckily there are some very talented people in town who are willing to teach.
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    the two online techers i'd say helped me the most are:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/professorV
    and
    https://www.youtube.com/user/theonlinepianotutor

But definitely get occasional or regular real-life same-room lessons, nothing like it for sortingout problems.
    personally I'd say learn to read music nad as much theory as you can- it's the international language of musicians, and , as has been said, the idea that most great gypsy-jazz players are all "naturals" is false - Costel, Florin & Didier were all conservatory trained, iirc.
    and post here on teh forum too, 'violin'is a quiet corner ;-)