DjangoBooks.com

Favino #553

klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
edited August 2014 in Classifieds Posts: 1,665
I'm offering my beautiful 1977 Favino for sale. I bought this over a year ago, thinking it would be my last gypsy guitar, but I had to sell off a number of other guitars to get the money together, and one of them was a Rodrigo Shopis D hole that I came to miss in time. I commissioned a new one from Rodrigo with some new design ideas, and he delivered it to me at Django in June. If it's not the best guitar that Rodrigo has ever built, I'd like to see the other one! I have totally fallen in love with it.

Unfortunately, the Favino is probably not going to get much playing time now, and it should be played. Plus I really can't justify keeping this much money tied up in one guitar. I've loved having it and playing it over the past year and a half, but it's time to let it go to a good home.

It is a fantastic instrument in exceptional condition. A great many Favinos have been abused badly over the years. Not this one. It is in excellent shape, with just one minor crack that Rodrigo himself repaired. He also did the setup work on it. It has a cedar top, not unheard of in Favinos but somewhat rare, and Indian rosewood back and sides. Original SB tuners that work well, and original SB tailpiece.

The guitar was sent to JP Favino at some point, and he refretted it and oversprayed the finish. It has his logo on the headstock, as was his custom when he worked on his Dad's guitars. Although Jacques didn't retire until 1978, 1977 is in the transitional period, so JP probably had a hand in building this one.

It plays like the proverbial butter, with action about 2.8mm on the low E string at the 12th fret, and has the authentic Favino sound, growly bass and honky mids, with volume galore. I have only played one Favino that I liked as well or better, and that is Michael Bauer's '64 with sixteen cracks! It's strung with Argie 10s, which it seems to like very well.

Comes with a nice Guardian Favino-sized hardshell case.

3d6dfb4d8ee67e37d8f17058036edd.jpg

b852e02601476be024655af913ffc1.jpg

18bcf8cca8285f1a874e4688c5cdcc.jpg

b59849c4daeebeacf093cf6fc53703.jpg
Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
-- Orson Welles

Comments

• Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    So beautiful... And it's free!!
    Unfortunately I won't buy it, but I was wondering if you would entertain me with a video?
    - JG
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    For the record, I got to spend a fair chunk of time with this guitar last year at Django in June, and it is exceptional in every way. Near perfect condition for its age, classic Favino sound, and plays like a new guitar! If I didn't own the '64 Favino, I'd be all over this.

Joli, you don't have to buy the guitar…just the case!

I'm surprised Benny is selling it, to be honest.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    A few months ago I would have been surprised if someone told me I would be selling it. It's an amazing guitar, and I will no doubt miss it when it goes. But it comes down to money - I had to do some unnatural things to buy it in the first place, and I need to get real about my finances. It's not an urgent matter, though, so I can afford to be patient.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Here's a video of Montreal guitarist par excellence Christine Tassan playing #553 at Django in June 2014 during the guitar show.

Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    Love the sound of that Favino!
    HCQ
    edited August 2014 Posts: 1,665
    [deleted]
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
    edited August 2014 Posts: 1,665
    [deleted]
    lostjohn
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
    On its way to Michael Horowitz.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
    Benny

-- Orson Welles